Installing that basement drain...

Users who are viewing this thread

immingct

Reaction score
I am extremely glad I found this forum. This looks like this is a great place to seek guidance before I actually pull out the sledge, saws, and hammers (and eye protection of course). I’ve gutted a kitchen and batch before, replumbing, wiring, drywalling, tiling, cabinets, etc,etc, with only a few minor costly mistakes. I realize for this project I need to go below ground and cut/break out the foundation to install a shower drain to rebuild my half bath in the basement. I find bits and pieces of info but hopefully I can get the complete guidance here.

The first picture shows what is existing and what I need. The grey areas shows the actual bathroom area and you can see the utility room drain coming in from behind. I am guessing/assuming the underground pipes for the existing toilet and utility drain. If, what I have read up on so far is correct, I simply need to mark my new pipe line, cut the concrete, and carefully break it out. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions on that, but is that the general approach? Once I have the area excavated, I cut my main, connect with a T, glue it all back together, toss in some rock, pour some more concrete, level, smooth, and cover with something you’ll never see through?

The second picture is more of an overhead showing the access to the main is a direct path assuming Jimmy Hoffa is not buried below my house.

Attachments

• translucent.jpg
    translucent.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 470
  • overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 370

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't want rock around your burried pipe...sand, then, depending on the depth, maybe some stone before your cement. You also don't want a T, a wye is better, but wait for the pros.

You need to maintain the proper slope, and I think you'll have to play with venting (not my area of expertise). If that main line going up is a drain for the rest of the house, then absolutely you need to do some venting. Each drain should be vented on its own, but they can be tied together and then into the existing vent above the flood rim of the highest fixture.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for good information on building a shower - check out their "Liberry".

immingct

Reaction score
Thanks, that is a start. What I have tagged as the "main" collects for two upstairs toilets and their accompanying tub and shower. The smaller vertical collects for their bathroom sinks. Everything must vent out of the same main because that is the only pipe running out the house on that side (kitchen and laundary share one on the other side). So if that main is also the vent, I should be able to just tap ito that considering all of the upstairs as well as the current downstairs toilet do right?

Here are my "finished visions."

Attachments

• side view finished.jpg
    side view finished.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 410
  • top view finished.jpg
    top view finished.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 332

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nope, can't do that (not saying that it won't work), but once a pipe is carrying waste, it can no longer be used downstream as a vent. You don't have to run the new ones all the way to the roof, you can join them in the attic or anywhere above the flood plane of the highest fixture. A vent needs to be only a vent from where it connects until where it reaches the outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks