dleta model 1700 tub/shower issues

Users who are viewing this thread

edspens

Reaction score
great forum guys , i am hoping someone can help me solve this issue i am having
first i will admit i am not a plumber but a construction guy, thats why i hired a plumber to install 2 delta single handle monitors in my new shower. i will explain how it is configured if you were standing in the shower and facing the shower head.
i have a handle on the left to control the main shower and tub and about 16 inches to the right a single handle monitor to control a hand shower for my dogs.
the plumber piped in both units but the tile was not done for him to install the handles and shower head but i figured this was easy enough for me to do. i installed all the hardware and now comes my issue
the main shower tub control only has hot water and the hand sprayer control only has cold.
help, i am lost. do i need to move the main cartridges clockwise or counter clockwise to make both hot and cold work? should the grooves that are on the main body that the handles slip onto be up and down or on the sides?
at this time the grooves are on the top and bottom, also there is writing that says hot side on the main body it is on the top.
i hope i did not confuse anyone but i really need this issue fixed, stinks having a sweet shower with the big rain forrest shower head and i can't use it

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
delta 1700

This is an anti scald type faucet the piston that regulates the temp may
be stuck.You may have to have to have take the piston out,and clean it.
Check with delta or instructions

spebby

Reaction score
First let me say I am not a plumber, but a DIYer. The cartridge should have a marking indicating the hot side. Normally, the hot side is on the left. When you insert the cartridge make sure the hot side markijng is on the left. When you say the body has the Hot marking on top that seems strange. Normally the top connection goes to the shower head.

spebby

Reaction score
With the cartridge removed you should see two circles in the body. The circles should be side by side, not one on top of the other.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
reverse

Yes that can be done,but you have to take it apart .The cartrage but will not
work properly.

edspens

Reaction score
well the units are new only a month old i was also thinking that the hot side writing needed to be to the hot side. as i look at the instructions to me it looks like i need to move the artridge a quarter turn counter clock wise so the word hot side appears on the left where the hot water is coming in

Last edited:

spebby

Reaction score
It should not matter clockwise or counter-clockwise. Does the cartridge have a hot side marking? If I remember right mine did and the instructions says it does. Where is the hot marking on the body of the dog shower valve?

edspens

Reaction score
hell i would have to look but i am not sure. all i know is i get hot out of the main shower and cold out of the hand shower, i will look tomorrow but from mempry i am not sure it is marked to be honest with ya. the main shower/tub has a hot side marking and it is pointed straight up

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That may work .If you have it out shake it real hard if does not rattlethe
balanacing piston is stuck.

edspens

Reaction score
thanks for the great instructions from the delta site i looked but couldn't find any and i also called thier help line, they were no help either. i will try it tomorrow and hopefully it works. how far does your handle turn and also what way does the handle point? is it to the right?

edspens

Reaction score
yeah all the trim is right i just think he installed the cartridge wrong. here i thought it was gonna be simple, i called the plumber who did it also and he gave me the whole i can be there in 2 weeks and i will have to charge ya speech. pissed me off

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
your best bet is to call the plumber back out to solve the problem, I'm sure there was a warranty on his install. If the wall needs to be opened you want it on his dime not yours.

edspens

Reaction score
well i am gonna try to move the cartridge and hopefully that solves the issue

spebby

Reaction score
The handle on my valve points to the right when off. It turns just under 90 degrees, maybe 75 degrees. The valve has a temp. adjustment under the handle screw cover. That determines the degree of rotation. See page 10 of previously posted instructions (pdf page 12).

I tend to agree with BAPlumber, the body was installed wrong. Checking the orientation of the two circles in the valve body should tell you if it was installed wrong. Water is supplied to the two circles and the cartridge mixes hot and cold. If one circle is on top of the other, the body was installed wrong.

Again, I am not a plumber, so take my posts with a grain of salt.

edspens

Reaction score
my question though is if the body was installed wrong why do i look in the back panel and see hot going in the left side and cold going in the right? i installed the one in my basement and had no issues but it isnt all fancy like the deltas . why can't they just make stuff standard and back off all the fancy things they put into faucets now

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks