Water dripping out of duct work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
A young contractor friend of mine in Las Vegas called me today about a problem...
Seems water is dripping out of an a/c duct in an 18,000 sq,ft. house he is doing repairs on.the house has humidifiers on each zone(13 a/c units).He is repairing damaged drywall from a water softner line that leaked up in the ceiling(supplying the humidifiers).He checked for a roof/plumbing leak.Found none.I thought it was probably condensation but hvac is not my area.
Any ideas...Thanks (can't finish repairs with water issue unresolved)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old Dog said:
A young contractor friend of mine in Las Vegas called me today about a problem in an 18,000 sq,ft. house he is doing repairs on.)
Is he working in Wayne Newton's house? LOL

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
insulate

Put insulation for duct work around the ducts. It will prevent the cool air from coming in contact with the ambient air which is what is causing the condensation.

tonysprofessionalremodeling.com

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
He is going to have to look a little further. You stated inside the duct, no comment about sweating on the outside. The cooler air in the duct should below the dew point.

Going to have to look at where in the system it is leaking, could be a humidifier with a problem, condensate from a coil, or some other off the wall problem not associated with the AC.

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
Thanks ...

Thanks for your input...
There was a problem with one of the humidifiers.They have been an ongoing problem for the owner since the beginning.This house is huge(3 story).The concensus is things are not being maintained in a timely manner...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the dripping water is a constant drip there may be a copper water line that has contacted the duct work and electrolysis has caused a small constant leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks