water running noise

Users who are viewing this thread

kylee

Reaction score
I found this forum searching the internet for how to install an expansion tank to my water heater. A thread back in 2006 matched the problems I am having almost perfectly. I realized that the problem may lie in my spinkler system. I did not see the resolution to the posters problem so decided to try a thread myself. Today my expansion tank burst. For the past 3 months roughly i have been hearing a water running noise in my living room directly above where the water enters our house. We just installed a new spinkler system last year but only began using it this summer when we laid sod. I called a plumber to come check out the water noise i had been hearing and was told that our toilet needed the fill valve and fallper replaced, wich we did. The noise lessened some but did not go away. Like the poster last year we also have a terrible noise when the spinklers change zones. I really never thought anything of it until now. So, our sprinkler syster taps into the main water line before it enters the house and before the shut off valve and the pressure regulator valve. We do not have a pressure guage so i do not know what pressure the water comes into the house at. Today the expansion tank burst and before i replace it I wanted to know if the water running noise the loud spinklers and the broken expansion tank were all connected. Anyone's input would be really apprecitated. Hope it all made sense. Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Water hammer could do all kinds of damage, but a pressure regulator usually blocks the worst of water hammer. What's the regulated pressure in the house? What's the unregulated pressure in the street? Maybe the sprinkler system could have it's own little expansion tank, or water hammer reducer, added just upstream of the zone valves.

Kiril

Reaction score
Wet_Boots said:
Water hammer could do all kinds of damage, but a pressure regulator usually blocks the worst of water hammer. What's the regulated pressure in the house? What's the unregulated pressure in the street? Maybe the sprinkler system could have it's own little expansion tank, or water hammer reducer, added just upstream of the zone valves.

Ditto. If water hammer is the issue it can be corrected with one of these installed as boots suggested, upstream of the valves.

http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?pid=627&ref=1

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
kylee said:
For the past 3 months roughly i have been hearing a water running noise in my living room directly above where the water enters our house. QUOTE]

Find your water meter and main shut off.

Look to see if your tell tale is spinning. If it is, water is going somewhere.

Shut off house main valve. Is the meter tell tale spinning?

Shut off main valve at backflow preventor or the valve closest to the meter. Is the telltale still spinning?

If you have high water pressure, and water hammer, I hope your sprinkler installation folks knew what they were doing. Depending on what kind of manifolds, and valves they used, you could have a fairly constant leak in a valve box, and not even know it(especially under new sod).

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
kylee said:
For the past 3 months roughly i have been hearing a water running noise in my living room directly above where the water enters our house. QUOTE]

How do you sleep at night?

Find your water meter and main shut off.
Look to see if your tell tale is spinning. If it is, water is going somewhere.
Shut off house main valve. Is the meter tell tale spinning?
Shut off main valve at backflow preventor or the valve closest to the meter. Is the telltale still spinning?

If you have high water pressure, and water hammer, I hope your sprinkler installation folks knew what they were doing. Depending on what kind of manifolds, and valves they used, you could have a fairly constant leak in a valve box, and not even know it(especially under new sod).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks