PDA

View Full Version : Valves will not close

mrpoune
08-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi,

This is my first experience with sprinkler systems.

I am trying to install my electronic controller

First, when the controller sends a signal to the valves (Orbit), is it normal to hear a big "TIC".

Using the controller stations test feature, I have open the 3 valves I have. The run station of my controller (Rainbird) will not close them and now the only way to shut off the valve is to close the water. If I reopen the water then all the zones are activated.

Please help

Thanks
Fred,
Montreal, Canada.

jimbo
08-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Controllers often have relays, which will 'click'. The valves will also click when activated. Generally, barring a massive short circuit, a controller doe not hold valves open. If they fail to close, that is usually a mechanical problem in the valve: stuck solenoid, or stuck diaphragm. You can confirm this by unplugging the controller. If the valves stay open, it IS a valve problem.

mrpoune
08-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply...

I managed to close the valves by hand by unmounting them. Now, it is working fine. something wrong with the initial valve position maybe... I did also remove a rock from the valve....

Thanks
Fred

Wet_Boots
08-13-2007, 07:10 AM
... I did also remove a rock from the valve....Ahhh, an important detail. You want to leave those on the outside of the valves.

Mr_Pike
08-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Any debris in a valve will cause a leak. Stuff as small as a grain of sand can cause a malfunction.

Now then with your problem. Did you get all the valves to close and work properly every time?