PDA

View Full Version : ENT Bushings - Are they required?

seaneys
08-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Hello,

I'm in an area that requires conduit. I've always used plastic insulating bushings on all threaded fittings (inside of boxes). Over the past few weeks I have noticed that both of my big box stores have stopped carrying them.

I paniced a little, then decided to dig through the 2005 NEC. I do not see that they are required.

Are these things really required? Do I really need them?

Halex P/N 75205B is a sample in case you do not know what I am referring to.

Thanks,
Steve

Bob NH
08-11-2007, 08:40 PM
300.4(F) requires that ungrounded conductors #4 AWG and larger " . . shall be protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors are separated from the fitting or raceway by substantial insulating material that is securely fastened in place."

seaneys
08-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Ahhh.. Just to make sure I am clear.

So I am using the typical application of 6 or 7 pieces of 12ga wire in 1/2" ENT the bushings are technically not needed. If I were pulling a 4 ga or larger wire (subpanel, etc), however, I would need to use them.

Thanks,
Steve

Bob NH
08-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Ahhh.. Just to make sure I am clear.

So I am using the typical application of 6 or 7 pieces of 12ga wire in 1/2" ENT the bushings are technically not needed. If I were pulling a 4 ga or larger wire (subpanel, etc), however, I would need to use them.

Thanks,
Steve

That's correct. For example, you can run as many #12 as you can get through a 1/2" metal offset nipple because even the fill requirements don't apply.