3/4 compression coupling.

Users who are viewing this thread

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
I do some plumbing repair on my own property but have trouble soldering wet pipe in a crawl space. I saw these 3/4 copper and brass compression fittings at lowes and thought these would be nice for me for capping off or breaking into a line. I familiar with compression on stops etc. and i've used galvy dresser couplings for emergency repairs on galvinized pipe.. Are these compression fittings something a respectable plumber would use and leave?? Thanks for all the help I received on this forum. HS.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Compression is intended for soft/annealed copper..like the 3/8" copper flexible feeds on a faucet.
Using them on hard copper piping isn't something I'd recommend...the joints tend to rotate when moved.
There are also a recent plethera of new types of copper connections, such as sharkbite, Tectite, Propress and others that are made to appeal to homeowners exactly in your shoes.
Soldering is tried, tested and true...once you get the hang of it it's easy.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
One low-tech solution for making a soldered connection in a spot where water is an issue, is to use a union. That way, the steam from any remaining water can freely escape, and the soldering can proceed more easily.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
another water removal trick

I always have vinyl tubing with Me to suck out or siphon water . A wet vac with duck tape to tubing does a great job

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
toolaholic said:
I always have vinyl tubing with Me to suck out or siphon water . A wet vac with duck tape to tubing does a great job

Thanks, I like that idea. The union too. I'm witing this all down. :D

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Wet_Boots said:
One low-tech solution for making a soldered connection in a spot where water is an issue, is to use a union. That way, the steam from any remaining water can freely escape, and the soldering can proceed more easily.

A good idea...also a ball valve, if the flow is too heavy...put a Jetsweat through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks