Toilet drain and vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

thinman

Reaction score
Well, I`ll suffer the slings and arrows that may come from this question. I am a fairly capable homeowner and fix most things myself. I am remodeling the only bathroom in the house. I am moving the toilet from right next to the 4" cast iron drain/vent pipe which is using a very short 90 from the floor of the bathroom to the cast pipe to a location on the other side of the room. The distance is now approx six foot from the cast drain/vent pipe I need to know if I HAVE to use a vent pipe or not. I have many other questions, but this will help me decide an overall plan of action

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Yes, you have to have a vent. Every fixture must be vented. The vent must be located within a certain distance from the p-trap, with specific fittings, connected in specific ways. Venting is generally the toughest part of the layout for a nvice.
Deb
The Pipewench

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like Deb says, every fixture needs a vent.

3" and 4" pipes need to be vented within 6 feet (72").
if you measure 6 feet from the flange to where it meets the vent, you would be fine. Measure along the center of the pipe.

2" pipe can go 60"
1.5" pipe can go 42"

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Thats developed length, that from top of flange, this distance includes the riser pipe that comes up to the floor.

So if your vertical riser is 2' then distance to vent on the horizontal run can be no more then 4'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks