Gutter runoff retention

Users who are viewing this thread

WorldRemodeling

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum im very glad i found it there is alot of great info here. I am currently having issues with my gutter run off being so close to my foundation. I was on a job once were they dug a 6x6 sqft hole and filled it with gravel as drainage for all the gutter run off being piped to it. I want one! lol I was wondering if anyone knew the name of this system and whether there are any code issues surrounding it i should keep in mind. Also is there a formula for calculating the size of the hold to the sqft of run off on the roof? the house i saw this one on was 3 times the size of mine so im assuming i would not even need a 6x6 one. thank you so much for your time!

Patrick

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Unless you are planning on using that water for something, like watering your lawn or garden, the "dry well" as mentioned abovel may not be your solution for a wet basement.

If you are "having issues with my gutter run off being so close to my foundation", piping the water away from the downspouts into another area of your property may be a better solution. What you described is basically like an old cistern, collecting rain water from the gutters if it is a closed system, and distributing it via a drain field, or by a pump.

A "De-Watering well" is a smaller diameter (12"-24") open slotted casing, surrounded by gravel. It is basically like an outside sump pit. You place a sump pump with a float switch in the bottom and pump out the water that seeps into the hole from the surrounding soil. By doing this, you try to create a depression in the water table around you home, with your basement being above the top of the depression.

I hated tripping over down spouts in my yard, and didn't like the runoff traveling accross my new concrete, so I trenched in some of the black drain pipe. One end hooks the downspouts via a catch basin, the other is attatched to a pop up emitter in the lawn. Works great except for a week or so in the spring, when the emitter is still covered by frozen snow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks