View Full Version : Leaky tub spout.

09-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Hello. I have a tub/shower unit in my basement. The tub spout is leaking (big time) and removed the spout. I have removed the plate behind the (single) handle to access the mixing valve. I noticed two screws on the supplies for the the h&cw and screwed them clockwise. I assumed they were shut offs because, when I turn the stem, I get no water coming out of the tub spout. But there is still water dripping from the spout.

It has a Delta plate behind the handle, but I'm not sure if it is an actual Delta faucet & mixing valve. I had replaced the shower head about a year ago, so I don't have a model number.

Any recommendations on how to handle this? Please don't tell me to call a plumber. ;) I think I'd rather rip it apart. :p

Thanks in advance.


09-26-2004, 05:30 AM
"Please don't tell me to call a plumber. I'd rather rip it apart myself."?NOw there's an attitude for you. If the plate says Delta then the faucet is probalby Delta. But since the are three different models of Delta, and each has its own repair, from replacing parts to replacing the entire inside cartridge, and it often happens when a DIY'er trys to repair it that the handle section twists off the lower one, it is very possible that you will "just tear it out yourself".

09-26-2004, 07:07 AM
I was kidding when I said that. That's why I put the smiley thing. I would really like to learn to fix these things myself. If anyone can give me a hint as to what to look out for, I would greatly appreciate it. If it comes down to replacing it, then I will. But I was looking for a suggestion, rather than sarcasm.


09-26-2004, 08:48 AM
If the trim flange is Delta but you think the insides may not be, then some knuckleheads have been working on this unit and who knows what kind of problems you may find in there.

As mentioned, Delta makes a lot of different valve bodies. The point of the previous poster is that a good plumber has seen all these and knows how to get them apart. Also, one of the traits of a good plumber is that they have intuitive mechanical skills. They could look at a faucet model never seen before, and quickly figure out how to take it apart. This is why we are plumbers and not interior decorators! Everyone has their own expertise.

Check the Delta website for pictures of your model and exploded assembly diagrams. Also note the point made by previous poster about some Delta bodies in particular are "delicate". We have had NUMEROUS posts on these forums by people who have twisted the tubes right out of the body trying to get them apart. My reply is MOTEL 6. Motel 6, you say? Yes, that is where you will be staying for a few days while you get someone to tear your wall open to replace the valve body!

Honestly, we are trying to help. Try this: crawl inside you kitchen sink cabinet. Wrap one arm around the disposer and reach up behind the sink with the other. Rap on the pipes util a lot of rust and water leaks down into your eyes. Stay there for 6 hours. Now go open your sewer main. Put 100 feet cable in there, then drag the cable back and wipe off all the nice stuff you have brought out. Do this for 5 days. If you have not become just the least bit sarcastic with a wry sense of humor...you're hired!

By the way, we are plumbers, not computer gurus. We can barely spell "internet" and we have no idea what all these little colored goombahs are that keep popping up in the posts!

09-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Ha! I also missed the smiley :eek: . They are a new addition to our web-site. I thought it was kinda of funny asking a plumber for advice because you don't want to talk to a plumber. Actually there are a lot of plumber's :rolleyes: that people don't want back in their homes or have to deal with. Our prices are all over the place and often our solutions are also. Some are filthy and not near as handsome as myself. :(
You most likely have a Delta and one of their characteristics is that it may be hard to get the #50 dome cap off so you can repair the valve. It only has three 3/8" copper lines connecting the bodies and people often tear them off and end up with no water in the house because they can't turn it back on :eek: .
Some techniques are knocking around the threads with a back up to try to loosen, put pliers in different locations around the stem and heating the dome cap with a torch which melts the rubber and plastic parts but then the dome cap screws off easy.

09-26-2004, 11:46 AM
I appreciate all the replies and the laughs. I guess it is the the Do It Yourself part of me that doesn't want to call a plumber. I am a licensed Sprinkler Contracter and figured I could do it myself, but from your replies, I think I will call one of you!!! Anyone live in Rhode Island? LOL... (that means laugh out loud for the non-computer gurus!) Thanks a lot for your replies and I appologise for coming off a little frustrated. I'm usually good about figuring these things out, but I believe I've hit a wall this time. Thanks again.


09-26-2004, 06:21 PM
When you say that we are plumbers not computer gurus, use the modifier "some plumbers". I consider myself a computer guru, having been the senior programmer and analyst at a university in Michigan, and also being the entire IT department at my grandson's elementary school.