pvc pipe cracked inside a cement wall

Users who are viewing this thread

mj voss

Reaction score
greetings,
i'm a new home owner and i've got a sump pump that has pvc piping going up and out through a hole in the cement wall in an unfinished basement. the pvc pipe that goes through the wall has broken off a bit on the exterior side. outside you can remove the arm joint that connected to the piece that goes through the wall, but the piece that goes through the wall is glued or cemented to the concrete. it's cracked and a small amount of it is missing such that water will squirt down the exterior cement from the arm joint.
how can i remove that cracked pvc pipe? do i just need to fit a smaller pipe inside the cracked one? should i use rubber tubing?
if what i wrote above was unclear i can email a photo. thanks.
-mj voss

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
cracked pipe

if it is 2 inch you could probably get away with
an 1 1/2 pipe going through it

if it is 1/1/2 I suppose you could run an 1 1/4 pvc pipe
through it too.....

we sitll run into 1 1/4 lines fo rsump pumps...so it probably
wold get you out of troubles of getting that pipe out of the wall

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Idea...
Caulk the outside diameter if the exterior portion with silicone...insert, the silicone should both seal and hold it in place.
The right thing to do....chisle out the adhesive inside...work the pipe out and replace it.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Why not run a "ram bit" through the hole...
It will chew the pipe out of the hole and allow you to push a new one through....
Did that at one of the jobs I am at...
Used a 12" extension and a bit of time but was successful in boring some 3" PVC out of a 10" thick wall that some idiot (insert concrete worker's name here) had snapped off flush while operating a backhoe...

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Beats the heck outta my idea on chiseling adhesive, but wouldn't that chew up the rambit with the surrounding concrete?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Didn't hurt the bit - the bit itself is the size of the pipe - Concrete was smooth so it just acted like one long fitting hub....

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what a Ram-bit is but if I had to do it I would cut both ends off flush and apply heat (torch or heat gun) to the PVC. PVC will soften and you should be able to collapse it into the hole to remove and replace it.

You could also run a hacksaw blade or a SawZall through inside the pipe to cut it. Use a junk blade that the concrete will not ruin and work from both sides if necessary. As I write this, I think I would start with the SawZall rather than the heat. Two cuts along the pipe should let you knock it loose and out.

If you use the same size pipe you will have to clean out the hole a bit as you have "zero clearance" from pouring the concrete around the original pipe.

Seal around the new pipe with silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks