View Full Version : Shower slide bar

08-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a Danze shower with a slide bar that is too short for the range of users (tallest to shortest). The bar is 22" long. Danze does not make a longer bar, or so they tell me.

Anyone with an idea as to how/where to find a simple 1"OD chromed brass thinwall tube, about 30-36" long? The 1" bar diameter seems to be common, but none of the plumbing manufacturers I called actually know what diameter their bars are. Or at least the people answering the phone don't know.


08-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Uhh...this might be a longshot..but did you check what the diameter of a shower curtain rod is? It seems like it should be about 1" to me...If you are lucky it will fit your setup and you can cut it down to size with a tubing cutter or hacksaw.

08-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Indeed on an ordinary 2-piece (adjustable) curtain rod, the larger of the 2 tubes is exactly 1" OD.

Unfortunately they are also steel so they would rust when used as a shower slide.

The shower slides are brass with chrome or other plating.

I was hoping someone may know of another manufacturer that makes a 1" slide in the longer lengths.


08-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I believe moen's shower bars are 30" long, and delta's are 24" long. If you want something longer, you might have to use a shower curtain rod if that will work and coat it with some kind of waterproofing.

08-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Some of the better quality shower rods are chromed brass...
They would work for you...
Search online for chromed brass shower curtain rods and you will find many - a lot in 1"OD as well...

08-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys. I found out that Ondine shower slides come in 36", 42" and 48". And they are 1" OD. I ordered one through my local plumbing supply house.

Turns out they are cheaper than a high quality curtain rod because I can order just the tube. The curtain rod with end flanges was around $85.


08-08-2007, 06:44 PM
a few ideas, since Ondine is no longer operating. I guess you want anything chrome or nickel or stainless.

i saw a 1-1/8th" O.D. stainless steel tube today, in a bathroom tubular setup. Reminded me of you. It was very thin walled. Any stainless tube, pipe or solid dowel will do.

Anything can be chromed. Get a 1" tube and have it chromed. The plating won't add much to the O.D.

Special order a longer shower bar from places that make plumbing parts. Or special order from places that make grab bars. (Most grab bars are 1-1/4")


08-09-2007, 03:41 PM
...why not stay with the slide rail you have and install a regular handshower wall bracket either above or below the slide rail? We did this in our shower/tub so that the handshower can be within easy reach while sitting in the tub.