Kitchen Sink Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I can't figure out why this is leaking. It leaks from wher the two slip washer nuts are very close together right below the drain stem. I have the washers tight, but I did notice that the washer that goes onto the drain stem goes loose if I tighten it too much, then I tighten it another turn or so before it goes loose again. It doesn't leak unless alot of water is put down it.

Any help would be apprecitated.

TIA, Molo

Attachments

• slip100_0768.jpg
    slip100_0768.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,130

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
#1 do you have the small plastic hat washer that goes between the tail piece and basket strainer.

#2 If the nut that tightenes the tail piece to the basket strainer is the one slipping try using the metal nut that came with the basket strainer in place of the plastic one. If that doesn't work get a new basket strainer.

Molo

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Cass,

1. I do have the small plastic hat washer, it is only about 1.5" long. It has a flat ring around the top, BUT there is also a black rubber ring that is between this and the strainer tailpiece, is this the problem?

2. Yews the nut that tightens the tailpiece to the strainer is the one slipping/leaking, I will get a metal one and try that.

TIA,
Molo

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, check to see if that plasic nut has a crack in it. If you've overtightened it, that may be the case and you'll need to replace it. I almost always have to throw out the metal nut that comes with the strainer assembly in favor of a plastic one, because it is not deep enough to tighten properly. I usually have to buy a cheap plastic strainer just to get that deeper nut.

BTW, if you download this free program, you can reduce the size of your pictures to fit the screen: http://www.photofiltre.com/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks