Three way wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed54

Reaction score
I came across a home with a detachable garage wired using three way switches, but in the garage their is only two lines coming in.... I'm wondering how this would work with only two lines..........

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
it is as easy as understanding how a circuit works.
this is the first step in learning circuity

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not really sure of the question. All household 120 volt is electricity is "two lines" meaning 2 wires, white and black, not counting the ground. Let's not talk about 240 or multiwire circuits for now.

You say the garage is wired with three way switches. By that I assume you mean the lights can be turned on and off from switches at 2 differents sides of the garage. This is simply a matter of how the circuit involving those switches and the lights is wired. Bottom line is still this: the light bulb is looking for one "hot" line and one "neutral" line: two lines.

For a circuit diagram of how 3-way switches are connected, and good general information about your home electrical work, the little green book available at all hardware stores is excellent. I believe it is called "Wiring Simplified" or something like that. Really an excellent book if you want to do anything electrical around the house.

Jed54

Reaction score
In the garage there is conduit from floor with two wire. Two three way switches are use..... house & garage. In a three way switch configuration two traveler wires run between the pairs of traveler screw terminals... With only two wires at garage......... how is this possible?

JWelectric

Reaction score
Maybe I am misunderstanding the question.

I can wire a set of three way switches between two buildings that will turn the lights on and off and at the same time using the same conductors have a receptacle at the remote building that is hot all the time.

Is this what you are talking about?

Jed54

Reaction score
I know a nuetral has to be considered .......... correct?

crutch

Reaction score
i would check to see what leaves the switch box going up to the light, where is it getting it's neutral? use a meter, is it metal conduit? because the neutral could incorrectly be made at the conduit which is not correct, but i've seen alot of hack jobs and nothing would surprise me anymore. but it sounds like something is miswired and if there are only two wires going from the garage to the house but you can switch light from two locations someone incorrectly made a neutral somewhere

JWelectric

Reaction score
Never try this at home but this might help someone better understand how a circuit works.

Montain 3 way.JPG

Jed54

Reaction score
I'm sorry...... Guess I should have brought the nuetral up earlier... Its really strange....... Its just to leads coming from an open section of conduit...I have not really tried check this thoroughly...... I know thru the years I've seen some strange setups. My Uncle had a home where if you touched the heat register duct, and the cold or hot faucets at the same time it would light you up,,,, The register ws on the floor directly below the bathroom sink...so you had to make sure you were not barefoot, and positioned correctly........... :)

Jed54

Reaction score
Just seen diagram....... Looks like a great possibilty...........

Jed54

Reaction score
Gets confusing....... when you read, and note correct ways to do something, and run into stuff such as this you wonder what people were thinking about when they did it..I guess all they had in mine was getting it done......

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
there is a possibility it is a version of the "california three way" or a "french three way" or even a "Chicago three way".
I have heard various names for these two different wiring configurations, and there are probably more variations of them yet,

more than likely what they did was take a hot wire and wire it to the single side of the 3 way switch and then take the two runner/carriers wires and take them to the other 3 way switch and then to the bulb and then to a local neutral wire on a different circuit if all you can fine is two runner/carrier wires,

and there is another version of the wiring is where basically it feeds from two different locations or circuits on the same phase side, with the bulb in the center. and the three way switches (one each end) are either feeding the bulb two hots or two neutrals, and either way the bulb is off in that instance but once one switch is flipped to the other side it completes the circuit,
(this method was used on yard lights a lot at one time as you could get by with jsut one wire coming to the light post from each building).

It is not a suggested method of wiring a three way switch,

Last edited:

Jed54

Reaction score
His house also has quite a bit of knob & tube wiring still in use. Especially on the 2nd floor. I suggested running a new line to garage, but burying new cable might not be his thing... Is it possible to run power above ground with a smaller weather head to garage? Looking at a run of 30'? I've seen smaller weatherheads at home depot..

Jed54

Reaction score
Calif Threeway

Regarding the Calif threeway wrirng is there a diagram of this sort of setup?
Thanks............

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
another discussion on it at another board, and some links and a few illustrations, http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=88390&page=3

carter or at least that is my understanding of the method,
http://www.code-electrical.com/necexamquestions.html

http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=661&d=1184453622
California

Cali3way.jpg

basically it is my understanding that the neutral on the California is picked up at a different location, using two travelers between the two switches, and not returning with the neutral to the power source location,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks