Strange Problem - Water drains from bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

jkirker

Reaction score
I have a strange problem which has become progressivly worse over the last two weeks.

After flushing my toilet everything drains properly. The bowl fills up. Just the way it's supposed to work.

Then, about 60-90 minutes later the water which was in the bowl is gone.

I see no visable cracks at the base of the bowl - and the toilet has not been moved in over three years. We have not kicked it or bumped it and there doesn't appear to be any leakage.

Any thoughts on this? I'm perplexed.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
briggs_1.jpg
You may have developed a crack in the trapway of the toilet.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I have also seen where someting that soaks up water (a piece of cloth, toilet paper, etc.) is stuck in the top of the trap and wicks all of the water from the bowl to the other side. You can see this happen if you place a damp cloth hanging halfway over the edge of a pitcher full of water. in a while all of the water in the pitcher that the cloth was touching will be on the counter... Use a closet auger to see if there is anything stuck in there. Children flush the oddest things...

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

If you have something wicking the water away, you can generally get it with a shop vac. Also, with the water out, you can take a small mirror and look up into the trap to inspect for anything that shouldn't be there.
Deb
The Pipewench

jkirker

Reaction score
So I did a little science experiment this morning. I dropped some food coloring into the bowl to see which way the water was going.

Surprisingly enough, the water is leaving from the small port at the front of the toilet (the smaller port which shoves water though the big port to create the vaccuum.)

Does this eliminate the whicking theory?

I'm ready to order a new toilet!

Terry - thanks for the quick response. I hope that it's not a crack but if it is, so be it.

Everyone else, thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it much. As a newer homeowner this stuff will come in handy! ;)

John

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Possible Clogged Drain

Is the toilet on the ground floor level?
The drain line downstream of the toilet could be clogged or restricted, filling with water then draining slowly creating a siphon action.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you mean the food coloring allowed you to actually observe water flow,and it was going to the inlet as you suggest, this does tend to indicate a crack in the porcelain somewhere. It is time to pull up the toilet. The food dye may reveal the crack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks