Septic field is across the street. Concerns?

Users who are viewing this thread

turnipguy

Reaction score
A house I would like to purchase has the septic field located across the asphalt street on a 2nd lot.

The septic tank (replaced in '06) is on the primary property with the house. The condition and age of the septic system from the tank to the end of the field is unknown. The street is a low traffic, two lane, dead end street.

I'm concerned about the pipe running under the street, since it seems the pipe would be subject to additional stress and movement over time.

What concerns should I have about the sewer pipe under the road? What is the proper way to have that part of the system inspected?

Also, would I be correct in assuming that replacing the pipe under the asphalt street would involve tearing up a section of the street, and that cost would be the responsibility of the homeowner?

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sewer lines run across and under streets all of the time. Kind of surprised the city let you do what you did, though (assuming it was inspected and permitted in the first place). It may have been the only way to make the lot buildable. Depending on the size of the pipe under the street, sometimes it can be relined, but I think probably if it failed for some reason, you'd have to dig up the street and fix it. If it is a city street, this can be expensive and yes, I think you'd be responsible. If it was installed properly, and nobody drives an overloaded truck over it, it should last without problems. If you are in earthquake country, that, obviously, could create problems.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Septic field

I don't have a clue what you are talking about, where I work the field has to be on the same lot. I think your answers will come from the local code office; sorry.

Molo

Reaction score
Talk to your municipality/building inspector. If that works, get a camera into that thing. A heavy load, or frost driven down by traffic coulc cause you problems.

turnipguy

Reaction score
shacko said:
I don't have a clue what you are talking about, where I work the field has to be on the same lot. I think your answers will come from the local code office; sorry.

shacko - Sorry, I wasn't very clear about my primary question. My concern is about the functional aspects of the existing system rather than county code. Let me try this again:

The house and septic tank are on one side of the street, the leach field is on the other side of the street. What potential functional issues should I be concerned about, and how can I identify those issues in advance?

jadnashua & molo - Thanks for your insight and advice. Is running a camera through the pipe a typical request for a septic system inspector? I've called two septic guys, neither of them are able to run a camera down a sewer line. Am I simply calling the wrong guys?

Thanks again,

turnipguy

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The leach lines are not as likely to be able to run the camera down as the line leading to the tank. The line to the tank should normally be empty; the lines to the leach field could have standing water in them depending on what was recently sent down the drain, the recent rains, and the soil condition. You can't get across the tank with the camera, you'd have to insert it there, and that could be impossible depending on the design and the size of the access.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
call the septic guy

Usually if they had to do something like
that it means they were having troubles
with the original septic tank and field....

most likely the water has to be pumped over there
from a sewage pump down in the interceptor....

I would be a littel leerey of the whole thing...

if it smells like trouble , it probably will be trouble

find out who installed it and why it was installled in the
first place

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
turnipguy said:
The street is a low traffic, two lane, dead end street.

How many houses and/or how much traffic between this property and the end of the street?

turnipguy said:
What is the proper way to have that part of the system inspected?

The line coming out of the septic tank should go to a distribution box of some kind, and that box would likely be across the street and at the beginning of the drain field (if there is no pump near the septic tank). Before purchasing this property, *one* of the things I would do would be to locate that box and open it up for some inspecting, including a flow test or volume test to see how well the field actually performs.

turnipguy said:
Also, would I be correct in assuming that replacing the pipe under the asphalt street would involve tearing up a section of the street, and that cost would be the responsibility of the homeowner?

Without a doubt, and if you were not allowed to cut the street, the expense for boring under the roadway without disturbing it would probably be even greater.

But, my guess would be that the next work to be done at that property would be at the field system rather than the pipe going to it. And of course, the lot across the street would be included at the time of purchase?

Last edited:

turnipguy

Reaction score
>How many houses and/or how much traffic between this property and the end of the street?

This house is the 1st on the street, and there are 5 additional single-family residences between the house and the end. The traffic is sparse.

>Before purchasing this property, *one* of the things I would do would be to locate that box and open it up for some inspecting, including a flow test or volume test to see how well the field actually performs.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. This is exactly what I hoped to learn.

>Without a doubt, and if you were not allowed to cut the street, the expense for boring under the roadway without disturbing it would probably be even greater.

Again, thanks for the insight. I had not even considered possibly needing to bore under the street. Yike$.

>But, my guess would be that the next work to be done at that property would be at the field system rather than the pipe going to it. And of course, the lot across the street would be included at the time of purchase?

Yeah, the 2nd lot comes with, although the deal isn't looking too good now. There doesn't appear to be an easement on record for the sewer running under the county street. As another poster said, if it smells like trouble it probably is.

Since there seems to be some interest in how a septic field can end up across the street, here are a few additional details some of you may be interested to learn. This is a 70+ year-old farmhouse on what used to be on a heavily treed lot. The house was the only home for a mile or so. 41 years ago, the surrounding property was subdivided and new homes and streets were added, including the street running between the house and the lot with the septic field. The septic field is downhill from the house, on an area cleared of most trees. Ariel photos from the 50's & 60's show that the current location of the septic field has likely always been the only practical location of the septic field. The only change between then and now has been putting a street between the house and the field.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your expertise and advice.

-turnipguy

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Sounds like it was there before the street (maybe only crossed their driveway), then they sold off some of the farmland. Unless the line gets crushed by a big truck, and it's lasted this long, it may continue to last a very long time. Back then, they probably used clay tile to make the run. The numerous joints could allow tree roots to invade the pipes, but if you haven't had any clogging, then that stuff will last a long time. It would likely cost at least a few hunderd dollars to have someone run a camera through the feeder line from the tank to the field, but I wouldn't probably do that unless you eventually ran into a problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
septic

Functionally, it does not make any difference whether the two items are separated, as long as everything is working properly. The line should not be affected by traffic as long as it is deep enough. The problems will come in if that lot is ever sold, or work is done in the street to damage it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks