Mounting Ceiling Fan to Exposed Beam

Users who are viewing this thread

zero1niner

Reaction score
I am trying to mount a ceiling fan directly to an exposed beam on a cathedral ceiling. I will be running the wire in a channel mounted to the side of the beam.

I mounted a 1/2" pancake mounting box directly to the beam. The problem I am having is when I install the mounting bracket to the pancake box, then install the canopy, the 1/2" mounting box is not covered by the canopy.

I have looked everywhere for an answer to how to properly install a ceiling fan to an exposed beam like this, and I havent found anything that helps me out.

Any ideas?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Fabricate and attach to the beam a finish-matching or -complementary wooden block or box large enough for the base of the fixture, and also thick enough for the mounting box and bracket to sit flush inside it just as in a regular ceiling.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
My inlaws live in a log cabin, and on the first floor when the ceiling fixtures where installed, the boxes where cut into the exposed beams. You will need a good drill, wood bit, and a chisel to make the box fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks