Annoying Drip where Tank Connnects to fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

eessydo

Reaction score
I have an annoying little drip where my tank connects to my bowl on a toto Pacifica. I have done everything from Tightening the bolt, to loosening the brass bolt, to repositioning the tank on the bolts.

WHile repositioning worked for a little bit of time, if someone leans back on the tank during a session the leak reappears.....

Should I apply a bead of Silicon prior to tightening down the bolt/rubber washer or use some Plumbers Putty to seal the drip? Or any other good ideas to stop this would be appreciated. My wife is pregnant and not happy about having to walk down the hall to the half bath every time nature calls, and I have not heard the end of it...

cst804s-terrylove-1.jpg

TOTO Pacifica CST808

Last edited by a moderator:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
eessydo said:
I have an annoying little drip where my tank connects to my bowl on a toto Pacifica. I have done everything from Tightening the bolt, to loosening the brass bolt, to repositioning the tank on the bolts.

WHile repositioning worked for a little bit of time, if someone leans back on the tank during a session the leak reappears.....

Should I apply a bead of Silicon prior to tightening down the bolt/rubber washer or use some Plumbers Putty to seal the drip? Or any other good ideas to stop this would be appreciated. My wife is pregnant and not happy about having to walk down the hall to the half bath every time nature calls, and I have not heard the end of it...

The fact that it happens when someone leans on the tank might mean the bolts aren't fully tight....careful if you tighten them with a socket....don't crack the tank.

eessydo

Reaction score
Grumpy--

I have them tightened down pretty well, the problem with this unit is that the soft gasket connecting the flush valve to the toilet base keeps the tank elevated and is not resting on the base....it just doesn't want to tighten down that far.......AND when I do tighten it more the leak gets worse........ANY IDEAS?

Toto Pacifica Page with Spec Sheet Link

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
would sand the inside of the tank, emory cloth works well.
Where the bolts drop through,
and Under the flush valve.
The flush valve can be removed with large pliers.

Don't use any putty.

drake_gasket.jpg

Push the foam washer onto the bottom.

drake_sand_bolt3.jpg

Sand inside the tank.

Last edited:

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, the big foam washer -- the tank to bowl washer -- is keeping your tank elevated and unstable. I had this identical problem and someone on this forum informed me that those big washers come in different sizes and densities. I found one that had a slightly less elevation, installed it and this fixed the problem! Good luck!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think the grit is all that important, but I wouldn't use anything less than say 100 grit. Probably wouldn't hurt. The stuff is fairly soft and you'll both hear and be able to feel when it gets smooth.

cmhealy

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is an update and if you resolved the problem. I am installing a Pacifica right now and have the identical problem. I have been wrestling with it for three hours and am pretty tired of taking it apart. I did manage to determine that it is indeed leaking at the bolts and not the gasket. That darn gasket sits up so high it makes it tough. I tried sanding and still have the leak!. Very frustrating!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks