Trying to fix smelly drain and dropped screw!

Users who are viewing this thread

gab76

Reaction score
I live in a two story townhome with two bathrooms upstairs that have fiberglass shower tubs. I don't know much about plumbing, but have lived in this house for years with no problems. Only now both shower drains are giving off a nasty odor. In trying to fix the problem with vinegar and baking soda and scrubbing down the slime from the pvc pipe, I accidentally dropped the overflow plate screw down the drain and I believe it's now in the P trap?! I tried a magnetic telescope thing but the screw is not magnetic. Should I call in a plumber or can I retrieve the screw myself using some other means? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Shop Vac?

You might have to fashion some kind of flexible attachment fron a piece of tubing or hose and duct tape.

Or just get a new screw.

gab76

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured I would just need to get a new one, but will the lost screw cause damage to the plumbing at all?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Nah.....It will just go away to wherever that stuff goes....downhill somewhere.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have a plumbing access panel, you can remove it to see how easy it would be to take apart the trap and retrieve the screw. If that's not possible, just forget about it.

gab76

Reaction score
No, I don't have access to it unfortunately. I will let it go :) . I was just afraid that it would cause a blockage of some sort. Thanks for the replies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks