PDA

View Full Version : Sweating new valve

Pimbley
07-17-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm about to install my new valve (American Standard, Pressure Balance).

All the ports are threaded so those are straightforward.

But, when I sweat the nearby copper tubes to connect to incoming supply, elbows etc., how worried should I be about getting the valve hot. I do not want to take the valve apart just to sweat near it.

Do people use heat sinks or other means to stop the valve overheating and , I assume, seals getting damaged. Is this common anyway?

Thanks in advance!

jimbo
07-17-2007, 06:25 AM
If you are sweating a fitting an inch or more away from the valve, it is probably quite safe. There are plumbers who are so good with their soldering technique that they can sweat a valve body without removing the cartridge. The secret is rapid heating of the joint for a very short time. The valve body has enough mass to dissipate the total heat applied. I do not do it or recommend it.
The longer the heat is applied with the torch, the more total heat the valve body must dissispate, and it will likely rise to a too-high temp.

It is a simple matter to remove the parts, but as I mentioned, if your are an inch or more away, and for extra measure wrap a damp rag around the central body, you will be fine.

Pimbley
07-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks. I should be - or can make sure I am - 1" + away. Will also use the damp rag trick.

Thx.

Pimbley

statjunk
07-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I've never had a problem soldering valves like that. Use the hottest part of your torch and they go quick.

Tom

Terry
07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
I pull the insides and solder.
It does't take that much time, and then I don't have to worry about it.

I used to solder with the guts intact years ago, before there were so many plastic parts.