Vent lay out and hight in 1.5 story house

Users who are viewing this thread

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Hello all. I got some great info for may last project I figured I would try again with this one.
We have a 1.5 story house with 1/2 basement. Waist line exits to the street out the front. I also built a wet wall so I had room to get new vent and waist line to the roof and second story.
attachment.php

We are doing a major remodel of the kitchen and main bath. Contractor is replacing the back wall and back 1/2 of the roof. He is doing the construction and I am doing the pluming work. The project is permitted and will be inspected. We are replacing all of the pluming with PVC and adding vents to the kitchen and bath. I have a pretty good idea of what to do if I DON'T do an upstairs bath room but we want one so here goes.

Is it a problem that the second story bath would be at the same level as the main vent stack opening? I was planing on using the main vent stack to vent the upstairs toilet too. The sink and tub would get there own vent.

The second question is would I need 2 pipes from the basement? One for a vent and one for drain? or can I combine the two as a wet vent? If I need two pipes could I combine the two before I exit the roof to ovoid 2 penetrations within a foot of each other?

Thank you.

Attachments

• outside pluming vew.jpg
    outside pluming vew.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 995

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
tjbaudio said:
Is it a problem that the second story bath would be at the same level as the main vent stack opening? I was planing on using the main vent stack to vent the upstairs toilet too.

If I were you, I would sketch an overall layout and talk with the ultimate inspector about what s/he will accept ... and that sketch would include all vents eventually ending up together at one 3" or 4" roof penetration above the upstairs bath.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by the question - how were you planning to connect the vent pipes from the upstairs bathroom to the vent? The vent is lower than the bathroom...

Vent connection has to be 6" above the floodplane of a fixture...

Actually, I'm completely confused: the more I read the question the less sense it makes to me.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbing

Your vents are the easiest part of the installation, so if they are causing you difficulties, I question whether you have a handle on how to install the waste piping. And we cannot tell you that because it depends on the house and where the plumbing is. Your contractor is smart not to try the plumbing, maybe you should follow his lead and contact a licensed plumber.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I'll take a stab at it.
Can you vent your existing bathroom and kitchen up through your existing VTR, then have a separate system to pick up your laundry and new bath with a VTR out the top of your high roof. Depending on your layout and accessibility you might be able to route your laundry vent over to the existing VTR.

All this is speculation without seeing how the existing plumbing is laid out.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
FloridaOrange said:
Can you vent your existing bathroom and kitchen up through your existing VTR, then have a separate system to pick up your laundry and new bath with a VTR out the top of your high roof. Depending on your layout and accessibility you might be able to route your laundry vent over to the existing VTR.

It sounds to me like he could do that, but my own question would be related to both systems ultimately coming together in the basement:

If the line to the street ever clogged, could that not let the upper bath discharge come back up from below and exit through the vent on the lower roof?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
If the line to the street ever clogged, could that not let the upper bath discharge come back up from below and exit through the vent on the lower roof?

That'd have to be a whole lot of poo. ;)

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
FloridaOrange said:
I'll take a stab at it.

This is probably the BEST option and one I was considering. The way the house is constructed I only have a small area to get pipe from the second story to the other side. Currently the whole house has one 4" vent (shown in the pic.) That vent is going to move about 8" so it can be inside the utility chase way I added in line with where the second story bath is. The kitchen and bath had no vents at all. I added AAV to get things working till this remodel. I plan on venting the kitchen on its own roof penetration. The current bathroom shower may vent on its own penetration or it is going to meet up in the roof with the main vent depending on the clearance of the new construction. The vanity and toilet are right next to the main vent stack. To sum it up there will be a 3†main vent and 1 or 2 2†vents for the first floor pluming.

4 to 6 ft away from the main vent stack will be an upstairs toilet with a vanity and shower a few ft further away. The only way to get drain pluming from it to the basement is a lateral run to the vertical chase way where the main vent is. At that point I could tie into the main vent creating a wet vent (I think this is probably bad) Or I can run a second 3†stack for the upstairs bathroom. In ether case how big would the vent have to be for the up stairs bath? I seem to remember the vent for a toilet has to be after it in the lateral. If not I could run the vent up an internal wall 4 or 5 ft away.
Thanks for all your help.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
leejosepho said:
Yes, but I just realized the lower vent would not need as much snake to reach the clog after the roof had been rinsed!
If things get that bad the LEAST of my problems will be poo on the roof!:)

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
tjbaudio said:
If things get that bad the LEAST of my problems will be poo on the roof!:)

Yeah, silly me ... I later realized it would first have to fill most of the house!

The first thought I ever had in relation to your lower vent was about the possiblity of odor coming in an upstairs window, and that is primarily why I would try to vent everything through a single vent at the highest point of the house.

tjbaudio said:
... how big would the vent have to be for the up stairs bath?

Someone here had once posted a comment that some houses, such as modulars in Florida, have only a single 2" vent for everything. Larger diameters in residential construction, it turns out, are more about protecting the protrusion above heated space from frosting closed during cold weather. In other words, you need at least 2" open at all times to take care of everything.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
hj said:
Your vents are the easiest part of the installation, so if they are causing you difficulties, I question whether you have a handle on how to install the waste piping. And we cannot tell you that because it depends on the house and where the plumbing is. Your contractor is smart not to try the plumbing, maybe you should follow his lead and contact a licensed plumber.
In this case the vents are the hard part. I have relatively lots of room for the drain lines. However the roof line of the house is such that the vents are hard to run in many locations with out having them in the room and not hidden in the wall as I would prefer. So I need to figure out what is happening up stairs before I plan the basement. This is a total replacement of all drain lines I can do what I need to in the basement. I do have a couple of questions on that part but they can wait till this part is planed out as some of the locations will be affected by what comes down the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks