Need advice on Lav install

Users who are viewing this thread

jansanman

Reaction score
Hi, I am doing a remodel of a small bathroom. I am installing a new Kohler pedestal sink where there was previously a vanity. The supply pipes are copper with brass stops and they come out too far from the wall. I need to cut them back and I would like to change the stops to chrome. I have never sweat pipes before. Is this difficult and what is the best way to do this. Also, the drain coming out from the wall is plastic pipe which needs to be cut back also. What is the proper type of pipe to use for this drain?
Thanks for your help.
Jansanman

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sweating copper pipes is not difficult. There are how-to directions available where you would purchase the torch, solder, flux, gas, and pipe cleaning supplies. The main points to remember are that you first cut the pipe square. Using a tubing cutter for this is best. Now clean the pipe end and inside of the fitting with a wire brush or emery cloth. Before assembling the joint, apply a coating of flux with a small brush. With the pipe and joint assembled and in the proper position, heat the fitting, not the pipe. Solder is melted by the hot joint, not by the torch flame itself. When the joint is hot enough to melt the solder, withdraw the flame. The molten solder will be drawn into the joint. When you see a silver ring around the joint, you're done. Do not move the joint until the solder has had time to cool some. It doesn't have to be stone cold, just give it a couple of minutes or so. Remember the joint will be HOT for several minutes. After it has cooled to the point of being warm, wipe it with a damp rag to clean off the flux residue. Don't force cool with water. The only joint I have ever had leak were two that I got careless and forgot to flux. Flux is the magic elexicor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks