spud washer size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
Today I took the tank off of a friend's St. Thomas. I rebuilt the guts, put on a new spud washer and used new tank bolts. Now the tank sits up higher than it used to (by about 1/4 of an inch) and it rocks. (Hope this thread isn't redundant with the rocking Toto Drake tank a few posts down, but who knows? Maybe something is different.) A few questions: The new spud washer seems a bit bigger than the old one. Do spud washers come in different sizes? Different densities? The new one is pretty spongy.

The new tank bolts come with two nuts, two brass washers, and two rubber washers for each threaded shank. Using common sense (being optimistic for now) here is the order from top down in the way I assembled it: One rubber washer beneath the big head that sits on the floor of the tank, then one rubber washer, one brass washer, one nut that tightens up under the tank. Then there is a space between the nut and the bowl flange... the threaded shank fits through the bowl flange and then that is tightened up underneath with one brass washer and one nut. How'd I do? Any suggestions on how to get that tank to sit more solidly? The other St. Thomas toilets in the house are very solid with not a trace of tank rocking. Thank you for your advice.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the tank-to-bowl gaskets come in several thicknesses, and some are spongier than others. If you installed the wrong one, you could get some rocking. Try replacing it with the exact one for that toilet model.

As for the tank bolts, the beveled rubber washers fit into the holes on top and the rest is as you described.

Yersmay

Reaction score
Thank you, Verdeboy. I will find a better spud washer. Regarding the tank bolts... you mentioned that the 'beveled' rubber washer fits over the hole in the tank... All the rubber washers on my tank bolts are flat washers. Cause for concern?

Thank you again.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't have to have beveled washers.

I found this on the web:

How To Install New Tank Bolts:
Place any spacers or washers between the tank and bowl and place the tank onto the bowl. Align the holes and slip a bolt, with a washer, into each hole. While holding the tank in place (an assistant may be necessary) place a washer on the bolt, under the bowl and then fasten the nut. Tighten the nut by hand and then only a little more with a tool, as needed. Over tightening will break the tank or bowl china which require complete replacement.

Turn on the water and let the tank refill. Check for leaks. Flush the toilet and check again for leaks.

Yersmay

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that the repair came out terrific and to thank you! I bought a slightly smaller tank to bowl washer and installed that... I also found some bigger washers for the tank bolts, and I think that went a long way toward stabilizing things. Maybe it's cheating but I stuck a very thin shim between the bowl and tank (in back where it can't be seen) and lo and behold, the tank was level and rock solid. And best of all, nothing leaked!!! Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks