Leaking Outside Faucet - need a fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
When I open my outside spigot I get water spraying out around the stem. When the valve is closed, no water leaks to the outlet or out around the stem. If I open the valve fully, it still leaks around the stem.

Question is:
With the valve closed, can I remove the handle and the nut which I assume would house the seal. I would like to replace this seal. I just don't want to have to drain the pressure tank to do so.

If so, where do I buy a seal? Would it be an ordinary o-ring or some special type of packing?

Picture of the valve is here:
faucet.JPG

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
After reading some other leaky outside faucet threads it sounds like replacing mine with a Woodford is the way to go.

Before sweating the new one on, do you remove all of the innards to prevent overheating?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try tightening the packing nut like verdeboy suggested.

If you end up installing a Woodford then yes remove the guts B 4 soldering.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
Cass said:
Try tightening the packing nut like verdeboy suggested.

If you end up installing a Woodford then yes remove the guts B 4 soldering.

I should have tried tightening the packing nut first as you guys suggest. Just did that and the leaking water is gone. Thanks!

I'll probably replace them with Woodfords at some point though.

Thanks for the info.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
How 2 install a sillcock

Solder a 1/2" female adapter to a 12" piece of copper tube. You let it cool and then screw the adapter onto the sillcock. Now when you solder the nipple to your feed line, you don't have to worry about overheating, and the next time you want to change sillcocks, you can unscrew it and screw a new one in, no soldering. Just brace the feed line, so you don't twist the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks