Shower head leaking when filling tub???

Users who are viewing this thread

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
OK...What the heck???

I tested it before drywall and didn't have an issue. Maybe I didn't test it enough...I don't know.

1. New shower/tub handset with diverter built into tub spout.

2."Rain" style shower head installed in ceiling.

When I am filling the tub, the shower head leaks/dribles into the tub.

It's NOT installed upside down.

what's up?

I HATE plumbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Problem is in the diverter/spout. You may need to return it for a new one.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you used a small ID pipe, such as PEX or CPVC to connect out of the valve, down to the spout, this restriction causes enough back pressure to send some water to the shower head. Also, if the main pressure in the house is too high, you can also have that happen,.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
NOt knowing what model/name.. on a Symmons, this happens alot from solder drips jamming it.
IF Symmons
Pull out the diverter handle, take a 3/8" allen and take out the front nut, then take out the diverter stem (a lil' tricky, but works with a small flat head)...you might get lucky and see the debri come out, or just get a replacement.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
NOt knowing what model/name.. on a Symmons, this happens alot from solder drips jamming it.
IF Symmons
Pull out the diverter handle, take a 3/8" allen and take out the front nut, then take out the diverter stem (a lil' tricky, but works with a small flat head)...you might get lucky and see the debri come out, or just get a replacement.

Forget that...I misssed the part mentioning the diverter on the spout.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
What kind of pipe goes from the valve to the diverter spout, and how long is it.

1/2" copper about 18" down and 24" over to the spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks