smelly water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

pmoran

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. We had a new Rheem
everkleen hot water tank installed last month. Ever since, the hot water smells like a swamp. The cold water smells normal. I called the repair person out and they said they had never heard of such a thing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you installed it your self then you will have to deal with it BUT if you were smart and had a contractor installed it, call him back, it is his problem.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:

Ya know...I'd almost bet money thats it, but it is new...(?)

I'm with you on that.

Years ago we designed the plumbing for a 20 story high-rise on the east coast. Beautiful units, the smallest were around 2000 square feet, the largest were over 5000. After construction we get a call from the GC and building managers wanting us to fix their stinky water - hot side only.

After doing some research we found out that they decided (after the fact) to install some super fancy whole building filter system. Told them to swap the anode rods to fix it, along with b%tching about making major changes without telling us. Anyway, the units all had 120 gallon rheems in it, which were so tightly installed that the only way to get the rods out was to cut them while removing. :eek: Couldn't put new one's in...:eek: :eek: The GC and plumbing contractors figured something out to replace them as they went bad one by one. :eek: : 5-10 year commitment...

Sorry for the ramble....

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
FloridaOrange said:
I'm with you on that.

Years ago we designed the plumbing for a 20 story high-rise on the east coast. Beautiful units, the smallest were around 2000 square feet, the largest were over 5000. After construction we get a call from the GC and building managers wanting us to fix their stinky water - hot side only.

After doing some research we found out that they decided (after the fact) to install some super fancy whole building filter system. Told them to swap the anode rods to fix it, along with b%tching about making major changes without telling us. Anyway, the units all had 120 gallon rheems in it, which were so tightly installed that the only way to get the rods out was to cut them while removing. :eek: Couldn't put new one's in...:eek: :eek: The GC and plumbing contractors figured something out to replace them as they went bad one by one. :eek: : 5-10 year commitment...

Sorry for the ramble....
Done my share of commercial/large residential...all it takes one eensey weensey lil boo-boo on the engineers prints and we're busy for another 3 months.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably have SRB in your water heater. Sulfate Reducing Bacteria. Remove the factory anode and replace with an aluminum/zinc anode. While you have the original one out, pour a bottle of hydrogen peroxide into the heater.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
for tight spots, they make segmented anode rods...
the old one has to be bent/cut to remove it, but the new one slips in fairly easily as it has joints in it...

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
It may be hydrogen sulphide.
This is caused by a biochemical reaction between sulphates in the water, sulphate reducing bacteria, a magnesium rod in the hot water heater or organic matter in the water.
Sometimes the reaction with the magnesium rod is the cause of odor problem. The purpose of the magnesium rod is to prevent corrosion of the water heater. Removing the magnesium rod will often prevent the odor problem, but will void the warranty and lead to the possible earlier deterioration of the tank. If corrosion is a concern, the magnesium rod can be replaced with a zinc rod. Try disinfecting the tank with chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide first.

ma

Reaction score
sulphur smell

We can't get the anode rod to budge. Do the water heater and the rod become one with age? Mine is 16 years old...

I tried contacting the manufacturer for directions to disinfect the tank with bleach, but their number is out of service! Anyone ever heard of Richmond Miser? It has been a great water heater (gas) - very little service needed in all those years.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What are you using to try and remove it?

You should be using a 3/4" drive breaker bar and socket and maybe a cheater bar on it.

Be sure to have the water shutoff and the pressure relieved B 4 attempting this.

The heater being 16 years old I would be considering replacement rather than a new anode rod.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks