CI Flange 1/2 " below sub-floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

The CI flange is 1/2" below the sub-floor. What is the best wax ring(s) to use?

TIA,
Molo

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd use a waxless adapter - Fluidmaster makes one, and there are others.

You know, the better thing would be to reset the flange to where it is supposed to be. An alternative might be to add one or more flange extenders to raise it to the proper level, then use a conventional wax ring.

Having a deep wax seal isn't as strong as when done with a flange at the proper level. The waxless systems rely on O-rings to make the seal. I've used both, and have not had problems with the waxless. They cost more, but are a real benefit during remodeling when the toilet may be removed periodically.

Molo

Reaction score
Just a bit Small Adapter

I went out and bought the adapter, and attempted to place the adapter over the CI Flange. The diameter of the adapter opening is around 1/16" -1/8" to small! The CI flange has a lip and if the adapter opening were just a bit bigger it would slide right over! If anyone has experience with this, please let me know!

TIAm
Molo

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Do you have access to the pipe below the floor?
you can cut the cast iron and replace it with PVC or ABS...
If not, a good plumber could remove the flange and lead and oakum a new one in place in short order....

Molo

Reaction score
Photos- More Explanation

Here are some photos. The screwdriver is pointing to the ring on the Cast Iron flange that is preventing (just barely) the plastic extension from comfortably sliding over it and sitting down no the flat part of the CI flange.
Any ideas are welcome.

TIA,
Molo

Attachments

• flange 100_0511.jpg
    flange 100_0511.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 375
  • flaNGE2 100_0512.jpg
    flaNGE2 100_0512.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 351
  • flange3100_0516.jpg
    flange3100_0516.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 368
  • flange4 100_0514.jpg
    flange4 100_0514.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 377

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Options:

Grind down the protruding lip of the CI flange with an angle grinder.
Use a dremel with router bit to route out the inside of the plastic flange extenders.
Use 2 wax rings.
Cut out old flange and replace with PVC flange set on top of the finished floor.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get a PVC flange that has an extension that will go over what you have there and into the old cast with either an expandable gasket or one that is stationary and slides into the pipe tight. Be sure the cast is supported if the run is long.

The Cast should have been cut and replaced with PVC, sticking up so the sub floor and finished floor were such that when the flange was installed it sat on the finished floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The Cast should have been cut and replaced with PVC, sticking up so the sub floor and finished floor were such that when the flange was installed it sat on the finished floor

A rather Draconian suggestion. Just break the flange off and lead/oakum a new one on after the floor is finished. A very, very simple job for a plumber.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
hj said:
The Cast should have been cut and replaced with PVC, sticking up so the sub floor and finished floor were such that when the flange was installed it sat on the finished floor

A rather Draconian suggestion. Just break the flange off and lead/oakum a new one on after the floor is finished. A very, very simple job for a plumber.

Thats what I was gonna say...be sure it's a 4" hub on the CI flange.
Either heat and pry it up or drill to remove old lead...you know the "drill".

Molo

Reaction score
flange function

Thanks for the input,

I like the idea of repacing with a new CI flange. I'm wondering about the PVC flange as well, where and how do you cut the cast? to put a PVC flange on? Also, someone suggested a PVC flange that sits on top of the CI flange and has a rubber extension that gets fitted tightly to the inside walls of the CI, (I'm assuming this is like the drain assembly that I used when I had to put a new shower drain in without acces to the bottom of it).
There are a few options discussed here, one suggestion was as simple as going with two wax rings.
All of these options have forced me to really question what exactly is the proper function/use of the flange. Does the flange be on top of the subfloor? Do you rely on it for structural strength? In the box framing repair I did underneath this floor I provided 2 x 4 box underneath the flange so that I could screw the flange to it. Is this not enough? I would really like somde good info on flange use and the function of the flange. It does surprise me that there are only two bolts holding most toilets to the floor, and they are towards the center of the toilet. It seems there should be attaching mechanisms around the outside perimiter of the bowl. Somebody please steer me in the right direction with flange function and use, as well as toilet stability.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this and is even considering responding,
TIA,
Molo

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The toilet base has a fairly large area, so anchoring it in the middle works pretty well. Adding some caulk around the outer rim also helps anchor it in place and helps you keep it more sanitary since "stuff" can't seep underneath the toilet.

Molo

Reaction score
Thaks Jad,
I would still like to know what some of you pros think about this? Is it a design flaw that most toilets don't have a means to secure the perimiter of the bowl to the subfloor? It seems to easy for a big person, or a wild college couple, to rock one off and break whatever wax seal is there.

What do you folks think, Is this a common sense thing that is being overlooked?

Molo

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I've always thought the connection was under-specced... but that's just me being paranoid. They've been working fine, for a long, long, time.

I have to disagree with Jadnashua about the caulk: that'd create a problem for the person who has to pull the toilet later. Part of the reason for the wax ring seal is that you can pull the toilet relatively easily...

Also - caulk works both ways, so if there was a leak it couldn't find a way out.

One reason you want the only connection to be @ the flange, is so that if something goes wrong, you'll know about it; additional fastening might conceal problems.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Caulking a toilet down is a funny subject.

In Some jurisdictions it is mandatory, some want it all the way around others the back stays open and in places like here there is no requirement either way or at all.

There are pros and cons to doing it or not.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Most places seem to want it open in the back. Consider the little guys who miss...guess where it goes, under the toilet. Guess what you have to do to clean it out, tear out the toilet. Do that more than a few times, and you'll see the benefit of the caulk. How often do you remove a toilet? Unless you have a structural problem, it only happens when you remodel. Having a little trouble getting it out seems like a small price to pay once every 10-20 years...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
A rather Draconian suggestion.

Why would replacing old cast during a project where new joice's and new sub and finish floor was being installed be "draconian"?

I would think it prudent.

I try and replace as much old cast as possible when ever the situation presents it's self and is feasible.

Replacing the CI flange with another CI flange is an option.

Reguardless there is no sub floor for the cast or plastic to sit on.

Molo

Reaction score
How would I have done this if I wanted to replace the cast and raise it the 1" i would have needed to get it above the subfloor? That's what I'll do next time!

TIA,
Molo

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cass said:
Why would replacing old cast during a project where new joice's and new sub and finish floor was being installed be "draconian"?
I would think it prudent.
I think HJ was being facetious.

Regarding caulking around the base of a toilet:

IMHO, it is essential to do this for an upstairs bathroom. That way, if a toilet or tub overflows, the water will be less likely to go through to the room below.

Molo

Reaction score
Note to Grumpy; Still Learning; In No Hurry.

"How would I have done this if I wanted to replace the cast and raise it the 1" i would have needed to get it above the subfloor? That's what I'll do next time!" NEXT TIME, Means NOT THIS TIME

I guess you didn't have time to answer the question, that's too bad. Perhaps somebody else can tell me about cutting and raising a CI Flange.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks