PDA

View Full Version : Danze trim plate not flush...

chris fox
06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I am back in the game... I started tiling my kerdi shower today. I am using a Danze thermostatic control and having an issue with the trim plate. The rough in uses a plastic plate which the finished wall needs to be flush with.
So a while back when roughing this in I made sure it was flush, even made a test piece(tile, thinset and sheetrock) to determine the overall thickness.

Well I didnt accoutn for the kerdi which I didnt have at the time so it turns out my tile and plastic plate is about 1/8" off(plate is subflush). I am aware the rubber gasket acts as a water barrier. So how much tolerance do they give you??? Do i need to shim this up? I am assuming other trim plates are the same way and I bet not everyone get this exactly flush...or am I the only one

Any ideas...

thanks Chris

jadnashua
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Most designs give you a range of depth where it will work. No idea if this is one of them. It is likely that the outer edge of the rough-in cover is the maximum extension. If it is now recessed, things may not work at all - the screws too short, etc. Hard to tell. What do the instructions say specifically?

chris fox
06-25-2007, 03:58 PM
The instructions just say to be flush no range. Realistically they should design some tolerance, I dont think everyone gets it right all the time, during rough in and finsihed wall I would think it is near imposssible to get 100% flush.
The instructions claim to have excellent 1-800 service i will give them a call and see if they can ofer more detail.

jadnashua
06-25-2007, 05:12 PM
I've heard that some showerheads (body sprays) have literally no tolerance. Some of them have various thickness washers so it tightens down exactly where you want it (it is not a tapered pipe thread on those). I am not familiary with that valve.

hj
06-25-2007, 08:40 PM
I am working with the same thing right now, and after I checked with Danze to see if they had an extension to make up for the 1/2" cement board, and was told they do not make one, I had to move the valve out because there is zero tolerance in that valve.

chris fox
06-26-2007, 09:46 AM
hmmm, I was thinking of adding a plastic shim piece based off the paper template. It all depends on how much thread I have to compress the trim plate. I dont like the idea though.
HJ, sounds like your in the same situation. I guess I may have to cut in on the toilet wall and push this outward:mad: