PDA

View Full Version : Hearing weird crackling sounds from bottom of Kohler Highline bowl

MFfan310
06-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, I'm back on here, with a question:

I have a 1 1/2 year old Kohler Highline toilet (Kohler model # K-3427, purchased as part of a K-11450 "Complete Solution" package with seat and wax ring at Lowe's) that was bought to replace a 3.5 gpf Mansfield "contractor's special". It's now starting to exhibit some weird crackling sounds around the base of the bowl whenever one sits or bends over. Is this a sign that the china is cracking? If it is, should I run out to buy another toilet? Anyway, I haven't abused the toilet at all, though one member of our family climbed on top of the bowl yesterday while installing a cabinet over the toilet. Could that be the culprit?

Also, while I know that Terry here often recommends Toto, I wonder if the new American Standard Champion 4 (the new one with the 4" flapper and "Accelerator", NOT the old Champion wth the leaky flush tower) works fine? Any help that could possibly stop a toilet emergency would be greatly appreciated.

jadnashua
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Does the toilet rock on the floor at all? If it does, it may have leaked and you could have structural problems as a result.

MFfan310
06-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Does the toilet rock on the floor at all? If it does, it may have leaked and you could have structural problems as a result.

Nope... it doesn't rock on the floor. Thanks for the tip, though.

Terry
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
We are always looking for testers.
When I first saw the Champion, I laughed. I told the distributor straight up that I didn't think it was going to last very long. Turned out I was right.

You can always buy the newer one and let us know.
They don't list a Champion 4 on their web site though.

Cass
06-25-2007, 01:17 PM
To find the cause of the noise you need to pull the toilet and inspect the bottom of the bowl and floor.

jadnashua
06-25-2007, 05:02 PM
If plywood has delaminated because of rot or moisture damage, you'll get some weird sounds when you apply weight to it.