Smell from sink

Users who are viewing this thread

mom5

Reaction score
We have a master bath with double sinks. One sink always has a mild "sewer" smell when you turn on the water each morning (or evening, if it has been sitting all day). There is no smell coming from it until you turn the water on and then it only last for a minute or so. It is the last drain on the line (or first fixture closest to the septic line). We built the house and I know that this sink has the vent pipe straight up the wall and through the roof. The other sink vent is branched over and we never have this smell from that sink. The house is two years old and I have always noticed this but I can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Barbara

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
One guess.... you might have a crown vent problem...if it's a tight spot, the trap might be too close to the vent and where it's at the end of the main drain it's more likely to subject to vacuum/siphonage OR the drain from the trap to the branch has too much pitch...could be any number of things...
That particular vent gets a vacuum on every drain in the house...if it's not set up correctly that could be the trouble.

Also you might do the obvious....make sure there IS a trap on that drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks