View Full Version : Chrome Sleeve for Angle Valve Flange?

06-22-2007, 07:05 PM
My existing angle valve (shut off valve) for my toilet is a bit corroded, especially the chrome plated PIPE (brass?). I know I could heat it and remove it and sweat a new one on, but I'm concerned about two things. One is that the copper stub-out coming out of the wall is curved to form a smooth 90 degree bend (no elbow fitting) so I'm presuming it's flexible copper with which I've never worked before. The other is that a few years ago I had a lot of trouble sweating a new chrome plated angle valve PIPE to another stub-out.

Is there any difference in working (sweating) with flexible copper pipe versus rigid pipe? Do I have to do anything different when sweating a chrome plated PIPE?

Instead of replacing the valve, is there some kind of chrome sleeve I could simply slide over the corroded PIPE?

- Bernie

06-22-2007, 07:45 PM
You can use a tin snips to cut off the corroded escutcheon plate and replace it with a new one that opens and closes using a hinge mechanism that you can install without having to remove the stop valve.

06-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks, Eric. I should have mentioned I have one of those hinged escutcheons. It just occurred to me that I used the wrong term. (My apologies. That's what I get for trying to squeeze in a question to the forum after a long day!). What I'm actually referring to is the 4 to 5 inch long chrome plated pipe behind the stop valve. Are there any sleeves or covers that can go over that?

- Bernie

06-22-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm not aware of such a pipe. Can you post a photo?

06-23-2007, 07:55 PM
I think what your talking about is a "Chrome plated cover tube" it is 1/2" x 3-1/2" and goes over copper pipe.
I know Brasscraft makes one it's a #8489C and the flange your refering to is a "Split Flange".

Dunbar Plumbing
06-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Buy one of those plastic white/beige colored supply covers meant for handicap accessible required lavatory faucets.