Adapt a bar sink as a bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

etienne1102

Reaction score
I'd like to put a round stainless bar sink into a vanity for use as "the bathroom sink". Obviously I can just use it as is with a kitchen type drain strainer basket and not hook up the stopper control. But as I am going to use a bathroom sink faucet set (8" centers in the vanity top), is there some kind of hole adapter that will allow me to use the bathroom sink faucet drain (with operating stopper)?

I am interested in the straighter sides of a bar/kitchen sink both because I like the look and the fact that the bathroom is in the basement near shop areas.. Ideas?

Thx!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the stoppers for vanity sinks expect a thicker base with an overflow inlet. You might be able to find one without an overflow, but the diameter of the hole in that bar sink is probably bigger than a typical vanity sink, so I don't think you'd have much luck. Keep looking, maybe you'll get lucky. Do you already have the sink?

Prashster

Reaction score
Not sure it matters, but many lav sinks have an overflow tube that the typical bar sink doesn't have. Personally, the only thing the overflow's ever done for me is cause the sink to smell over time.

Typical lav sinks are bowled bkz they're not intended to hold cups and dirty dishes. If you plan to do this, then I'd use a kitchen or bar sink as you intend.

Personally, if yr taking the time to add a bathroom in the basement, I'd add a utility sink nearby with a big Utilatub or the like and do all your cleaning and dirty work in THAT sink.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
prashster said:
... the only thing the overflow's ever done for me is cause the sink to smell over time. ...
bad smells in overflows under bath sinks? YES!!

I think long ago there was a reason for overflows in bathroom lav sinks. It never applied to kitchen sinks or laundry sinks. I guess it was foolproofing (or ergonomics) to prevent us from causing overflows when our long hair we brushed all day would get into the drain. Then, when we were soaking a cashmere sweater in our bathroom sink, and leaving the water on a tad just to have new rinse water all the time, we might get distracted by a phone call or a neighbor coming over to discuss recipes or babysitting. Then, the bathroom sink might overflow without us knowing it till too late.

:rolleyes:

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks