problem with shower

Users who are viewing this thread

jakesdaddy

Reaction score
I have a 3 stem type setup on my tub. I think it's a Price Pfister...
One stem for hot; one for cold; and a shower diverter.
However, when I turn on the diverter, hardly any water comes thru the shower head. Is there a special way to adjust the diverter after taking it off?
Would replacing the diverter fix the problem? Any help is appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First thing to suspect is the shower head itself. Remove it, then turn on the water. It should be a gusher. If not, then remove the diverter stem and see if some debris is inside. On that PP, you will often find broken pieces of the old nylon diverter washer.

jakesdaddy

Reaction score
thanks for responding. First thing I checked was the shower head. It's fine.
I took out the diverter and even redid the washer seat thing-a-ma-bob.
I have a feeling that the diverter stem itself was/is in an incorrect position.
After I take it off, should I turn it all the way to left effectively "opening it up" or all the way to the right which would put the stem into a closed position against the incoming water valve. ??

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To reinstall open it up. You do not want the stem to bottom out against the seat as you tighten it into the body.

jakesdaddy

Reaction score
I will try that tomorrow.
Kinda late to be banging around in the bathroom right now. :)
My wife would hate that, I'm sure. I will let you know how it goes. THANKS!!

jakesdaddy

Reaction score
That suggestion partially worked. I get water spraying thru the shower head, but ALOT of water coming out the faucet as well. Could the hot & cold stems be adjusted incorrectly? Would taking them off and reinstalling them the way I did the shower diverter help the situation? Could I have the wrong seat size in the shower valve or even the wrong seat in the hot & cold valves? Argh.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks