shower stall leak

Users who are viewing this thread

kris1

Reaction score
I just found a leak from my shower stall. The leak appears on the carpet on the adjacent side of the bathroom shower stall, in my guest bedroom (same floor). The wall has the pipe lines. THe leak shows up after about 45 minutes, only when running the shower :confused: . I found some grout/caulk missing. i just re-grouted it. The leak still shows up after 45 minutes. its all grohe fixtures. and it is only 4 years old. what else do i have to check? I have some pictures in my the web link below. i would appreciate any advice from this forum's members. thanks in advance.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coolguy_4838/my_photos

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Just a guess. a hacker did the tile work.You need an experienced eye to look at everything ! This could be a plumbing problem , or an inexperienced tile
job. We can only guess ,pix might shed some light .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, in a correctly built shower, caulk doesn't make it waterproof. It helps, but it is not the primary line of defense. Sounds more like you have a hole in the liner or at the clamping drain. Is this a shower on slab, or on a wood floor? Some installers seem to think you don't need a liner on a slab floor.

kris1

Reaction score
how do i find if the shower base it is on slab or wood ? the shower base is fiber glass/moulded plastic

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
what did you write on the pic?

in your second picture, you inserted a box with text in it. What does that note say? It's too small to read.

I'm going to guess that it says that the leak is behind that wall. The wall has all those valves in it. Your leak may be where all that plumbing is.

What do you lose by opening the wall a bit? Nothing. A small opening is easy to repair. Take pictures there and then we'll have a lot more to discuss. I'd cut that wet molding out, and remove the plasterboard down where it meets the floor. It's all soggy anyway. It's just going to start smelling bad anyway. It will have to go anyway. Remove it, open it up, and then you'll be able to see more. Down at the floor.

My guess is it's either that the plumbing is leaking before the water gets into the shower, or the wall isn't waterproof membraned. (Grout isn't waterproofing.)

david

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Sorry didn't see the Pix. No brainer for me . Remove the baseboard and sheetrock on the bedroom in the shower area. It could be plumbing,maybe a soldered conn. on the valve or body jet. This is an inexpensive look see,rather doing demo in shower! Also it needs to dry ,You don't want mold !!!:mad: :(

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, do a close inspeciton to ensure it is not coming out around the door botom.

Next inspection is to remove the trim escutcheons around the each of those heads and body sprays, and the valve. Look for signs of a leak. I necessary, carefully run the shower with the trims removed. This should find the leak, unless it is from the drain. You can test that by pouring 5 gallon buckets of water drawn from the tub, and see if the leak appers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks