HELP - 10" Rough In Toilet Recommendations - Under the gun to select

Users who are viewing this thread

etienne1102

Reaction score
I've read Terry's "Report on Toilets". I need a 10" rough in toilet. I have not had to buy a toilet since 1989. And now they are all water savers - 1.6 GPF. It appears that most of the highly rated toilets in the report are a) 12" rough ins and b) pressure assisted. But in this forum in other posts, I see people say that if possible you are better off with a gravity feed. Ah...technology....

It is now June 2007 and some of what is in the report may have changed.

So what options would you recommend today? (BTW, we tried an offset flange so we'd have 12" options... nada... 10" it is.)

Round front, standard height is fine. I want to be happy in 1 year + (well at least about the toilet!!!) Thanks in advance

Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any of the Toto's that use the Unifit adapter would work (Carlyle, Vespin, Carrollton, Soiree, Guinevere, Pacifica, Carolina, and maybe a few others). The Vespin is 2-piece, and the least expensive. Unless you can get the dealer to substitute the 10-inch adapter (it comes with the 12-inch), buying that to substitute will add to the cost.

If you do a search, you'll come up with several others that have been discussed in the last few months. On Toto anyways, having the elongated toilet doesn't present a big depth impact and is worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

etienne1102

Reaction score
Thanks - Any opinions on the American Standard Cadet 3?

3" valve opening, more standard flapper flush. Champion 4 (the redesigned Champion) does not come in 10".

I may need to get a second mortgage if I am stuck with Toto.. :)

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
I just bought and installed an American Standard Cadet 3, elongated, "right height" with the 10" rough in. It's about 100 more than the 12" rough in.

the "right height" unit is at the top of the MaP charts. the normal height is rated at 20% less, but at the high range of all toilets.

Anyway, it flushes fine...although i do have to admit, i wish it pushed more water through the pipes. That said, my old toilet pushed more water through, but flushed...well... crappy.

i also bought a 12" American Standard Cadet 3 , regular height, round bowl.
Works fine.

You can probably do a 9 inch rough in with the 10.. i didn't want to cut a floor joist and got lucky

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
You can use a Toto C703-10 "Reliance" 10" bowl and you can use a ST706 "Carusoe" tank which comes in regular or lined.
List on the bowl is $181.00 and the unlined tank is $90.00.
A retailer would sell to you probably 20-30% cheaper.

pbowers

Reaction score
I thought the ultramax didn't have the unifit?

I thought the Ultramax didn't have the unifit adapter? I was considering it for our main bathroom but had decided against it because I thought I needed a 14" rough in.

jadnashua said:
Any of the Toto's that use the Unifit adapter would work (Carlyle, Vespin, Ultramax and maybe a few others). The Vespin is 2-piece, and the least expensive. Unless you can get the dealer to substitute the 10-inch adapter (it comes with the 12-inch), buying that to substitute will add to the cost.

If you do a search, you'll come up with several others that have been discussed in the last few months. On Toto anyways, having the elongated toilet doesn't present a big depth impact and is worth it in my opinion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ultramax is a 12" rough that will work at 11"

If you have a 14" rough, it would set out another 2" from the wall than if it had been set on a 12" drain.

jpappasin

Reaction score
Ultramax at 11"

Terry, is that comment of yours from 2 years ago still true?
THe Ultramax with 12" rough-in will work at 11" ?

I imagine the tank is touching the wall ?

What about the Drake, would that work with an 11" rough-in.

Sorry, I'm lazy and don't want to move the water line out to 8" (it's 6 now) so I can use a skirted model...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake works at 10-7/8" from the wall.
The water supply can be 3" to the left of center or more.

The Soiree and Guinevere are skirted models that work at 11-1/4"
If you use the 10" adapter, you can move them to 9-1/4"
The water supply on the them needs to be 5-1/2" to the left of center or more.

The Gravity toilets with 3" flush valves work better then pressure assist toilets in my experience.

TOTO Drake CST744EF.10 works at 9-1/4", Universal height.
Toto models with Unifit, that can down convert to 10"
Vespin
Vespin II
Carlyle
Carlyle II
Carrollton
Pacifica
Soiree
Guinevere

TOTO now has a 10" dual flush at the factory.
I'm bringing some here for the Seattle area.
CST412MF.10

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
MaP rated at 800 grams
Watersense, so you still get the rebates, 1.28 gallon flush
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.​

Last edited:

jpappasin

Reaction score
Elongated Carlyle Installation 11" Rough in

The 11.125" rough-in prior to removal of old tile changed to ~10.75" after removal and installation of new 3/8" travertine tile in an older home bathroom remodel. So I quickly ordered a 10" unifit.

DSC00270.jpg
2.5" at the top, but more important, just 1.875" space from wall to back of 10" unifit adapter.
DSC00272.jpg
Note the handyman (won't call him a plumber) went a little nuts moving the supply line out.

The old toilet removed was just 3/8" away from the wall and had 50 years of dust and debris back there. We MIGHT have been able to go with the 12" unifit adapter, but it was right up against the wall meaning .625" tank clearance.

It looks fine as is, easy to clean all the way around, got the SaniGloss Elongated 1.6 gpf model in Colonial White and matching undermount Toto sink. And yes, the flushing is incredible with just 1.6 gallons (I can't believe how many videos are on you-tube of Toto's flushing).

We had never heard of Toto in Chicago, but I'm glad we found this site. Thanks for all your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks