Pipe Sweating or Leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sarge

Reaction score
Good evening. I have a small damp spot between my second floor and the first. The general location is where the toilet water supply comes into the bathroom. I have not cut the sheetrock back yet.

House is over 38 years old and probably needs to be replumbed - just not an expense and mess I am prepared for at this time.

Has anyone had experience with 'relining' their piping?

Thanks
Tim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only things I've seen (and there's probably a lot I haven't!) are drain pipes, and then relatively straight ones where you may not want to dig it up because of a big shade tree or something like that. If you pipes are galvanized, forget it.

In an enclosed space, unless there are huge air leaks, it can't be condensation...you have to have wet air moving over a cold surface for condensation. Between the floors, possible, but not likely. Probably a leak. Water will run a long ways, so it may not even be in that area.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not your toilet that's leaking? Flush it a few times and look to see if that water spot gets any bigger.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Pull and reset the toilet and see if the wet spot drys up.

Do this B 4 cutting the ceiling.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
relining

What is your piping material. Water pipe relining is "voodoo science" because you have to use faith to assume that the cleaning process removed all obstructions, and the relining epoxy contacted and bonded to the entire water system piping. Both of which are essential to a proper repair, and neither of which can be verified.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks