PDA

View Full Version : Parlez-vous Francais?

Verdeboy
06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
For some reason, when I click on spell-check in my Outlook Express, it uses a French dictionary. When I go to tools/options/spelling/language the only language listed is French. This just started a few days ago, so I can't spell-check any e-mails unless I write them in French.

The odd thing is, everything else is still in English. I tried downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer, but that didn't help.:confused:

Cookie
06-04-2007, 11:15 PM
I have a nice french keyboard that would go well with that,
Bonjour, vous avez un problème, :)

Here is a link to a translator: http://ets.freetranslation.com/
Might that help any?

Rancher
06-05-2007, 10:54 AM
In Outlook (not express) the selection is under Tools, Options, Spelling, you then select which language to use.

Rancher

Verdeboy
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
As I mentioned, the only language listed there is French.

Cookie
06-05-2007, 06:54 PM
From what I learned, you will need to learn French to reset it. The menu? is it coming up in french? Can you read it and find where it says, English? It would look like this in french: Menu Anglais

You might need to be able to read some of it, to find where it says which language. Or try to recognize, the french spelling of english---anglais.

Tough call here.

Verdeboy
06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Everything is in English. But the dictionary outlook express uses to spell-check is in French. So it is saying that every word is mis-spelled. It won't let me change the language back to English. I'll probably just uninstall the program and re-install it again.

Cass
06-06-2007, 04:28 AM
Everything is in English. But the dictionary outlook express uses to spell-check is in French. So it is saying that every word is mis-spelled. It won't let me change the language back to English. I'll probably just uninstall the program and re-install it again.

Are you using XP or 2000 for your OS

Cass
06-06-2007, 04:29 AM
I used to have similar problems with 2000 but now that I use XP they seem to have stopped.

geniescience
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
i remember switching back and forth, among languages for spell checking, back when I used MS products, like Word and O Express. It was easy as pie. But it was years ago. So, from memory, all I can encourage you to do is to go to the top line menus, and scroll across to somewhere around Options or Preferences, and see what comes down in terms of preferences, and explore them. It might not take more than a minute. The other language options are definitely in there; finding them is the challenge. You only have to go two levels deep. Once you know the path it'll be easy as pie, if you ever feel like spell checking another langauge.

david
p.s. your handle "verdeboy" may have confused the articial intelligence into giving you French as your primary. Call yourself "gruenderKnabe" and it may one day reinitialize in German.

hj
06-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I do not know anytime where my English keyboard would not spell French words, so I would be interested in what kind of keys a French keyboard has.

Cookie
06-07-2007, 05:37 AM
It is not that it won't spell the words. Here is a link, that will show you a diagram of a french keyboard. Mine is made by Dell. http://gofrance.about.com/cs/internetaccess/a/keyboards.htm or this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/kbdfr.htm

hj
06-07-2007, 06:37 AM
I'll stick to the character map rather than have to learn a new keyboard pattern.

Cookie
06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
It all depends. If you use french alot, it is worth learning the keyboard. If you don't, you don't even have a need for it.

Rancher
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Try:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spelloe.html

Did you reciently install Office 2007?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

Rancher

Verdeboy
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
You nailed it.

I recently did install a trial version of Office 2007 right around the time this occurred. I tried contacting Microsoft, but they charge $59.00 to answer any question. :eek:

I just installed the freeware OE spellchecker, and it added English to the dropdown menu. :)

Thanks and merci beaucoup!

Silk
06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I'll stick to the character map rather than have to learn a new keyboard pattern.

I have to admit, I sometimes type in French but I just don't bother with the accents. If I was writing a business letter, etc. then I would but for just simple messages I figure it's not worth all the trouble of fishing for the accents in the character map... ;) After all, I think anyone who reads French can figure out what's being said anyways. :D

silk

Cookie
06-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I guess I am allowed to say this because my grandmother was French. But, the french likes their language spoken and written well and will consider it rude otherwise. :)

Silk
06-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I guess I am allowed to say this because my grandmother was French. But, the french likes their language spoken and written well and will consider it rude otherwise. :)

Well so far no one has ever complained. They seem quite happy that I can even converse with them in French or that I make the effort and don't just expect them to talk to me in English. Plus if they had to wait for me to sit and look up an accent on the character map while we are chatting then the chat would grind to a halt. ;)

Are you in Canada Cookie? Because I'm talking about French-Canadians for the most part rather than the French from France.

silk

Silk
06-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Ya French-Canadians are quite different than the French I'd say. In fact they don't really even like each other I hear. lol

silk

frenchie
06-24-2007, 08:51 PM
S'true. The French french get pretty uptight about proper grammar & such. How else do you explain l'Academie Francaise? But we French-Canadians will just appreciate the effort.

Besides, we don't speak 'standard' French, anyways.

In emails with & from my family, it's pretty much understood that your keyboard is going to be set english (unless you live in Quebec), and you might not switch is over to send off a quick note.

It's considered more polite if you do, though. No accents is slower/harder to read.

frenchie
06-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Ya French-Canadians are quite different than the French I'd say. In fact they don't really even like each other I hear. lol

silk

If you could understand everything they say, you wouldn't like them much either. ;)

Cookie
06-25-2007, 05:30 AM
Yes your spoken french is alittle different than my grandmother's. I think also, there are different dialects of french in Canada which might make it harder to understand. Am I right on this Frenchie?

frenchie
06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Yup. Much more variety than english...

When I was 19, I spent a summer tree-planting (reforesting); the crew was from all over Quebec, and we used to laugh at each other's accents a lot... but we could understand each other, mostly.

The exception was the guys from the Lac-St-Jean region, I never could understand a word they said when they were speaking amongst themselves.

The other truly "different" dialect is Acadian french - spoken in the maritime provinces. It's a weird mix of perfectly preserved 16th century forms (there's no singular/plural forms for the verbs), and a whole lot of english loan words & sentence structure... "J'allions back" instead of "je retourne". Cajuns from Louisiana understand it, though.

Cookie
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
What about Newfoundland? I think they have their own also, don't they?

frenchie
06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
New Brunswick, mostly.

Here's a good overview of the Acadian story...

http://www.umaine.edu/canam/ham/acadiansettlement.htm

The one group I did forget, are the Metis, in Manitoba. They speak a distinct language, based on French and Cree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michif

Wow, Mamselle Lalonde (high school history teacher) would be impressed.

frenchie
06-26-2007, 05:50 AM
...but my geography teacher would be completely disappointed. You meant StPierre et Miquelon, didn't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Pierre_et_Miquelon

Not part of Canada, still part of France... they were never isolated from France the way we were for 300 years, so they pretty much speak french French.

...I find it strange that we have this Academie Francaise that determines what is & isn't "correct" French; instead of letting it evolve naturally like other languages. You'd think it would make the language less varied? But it does the opposite. Everybody winds up speaking 2 dialects: the French they learn in school, and whatever the local version is.

I had this friend from Paris, a few years back. We could understand each other fine (both speaking the French we learned in school); but if he was on the phone to his friends in Paris, or I was on the phone to Montreal... forget it. We could hardly even follow what the topic was.

seobeglobal
06-28-2007, 04:34 AM
hahaha, so that's why you know french

frenchie
06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm confused. Is there a post missing from this thread or something?

- how come seobeglobal's handle looks so different from everyone else's? Can't click on it to get profile, previous posts, or anything...

- hahaha, how come who knows french? Huh?

- Cookie: horoscopes?

Cookie
06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
ha ha ha ha, you are sane Frenchie. Yes, a post has been deleted, lol. Makes me look alittle foolish, too. :) The post had a tag on it about horoscopes.

Cookie
07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Did you read today where France gets a 5 week vacation and works only 35 hours a week? :)

frenchie
07-02-2007, 06:36 AM
No, but there isn't much news, there. Europe's had short work weeks & long holidays for decades - they decided they'd rather have more people working less, than less people working more - partly because their unions are a lot stronger than ours.

Even in Canada, 4-6 weeks a year is pretty standard. Nobody takes as few holidays as Americans.

carnaval
07-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Biensure que je sais la langue francaise. Quand j’etais a l’ecole je faisait francais, je me rappelle un peu.

Cookie
07-09-2007, 04:49 AM
You've speak it well enough in my books. :)