Sump Pump disaster/failsafe solutions needed

Users who are viewing this thread

GregN31

Reaction score
Looking for ideas and advice:

Own a split level home, sump pump and sump pit in basement utility room with 1/2 HP Simer pump. Doesn't run too often, but when we have heavy rains it can run pretty regularly for hours or even days intermittently (never non-stop).

1. Does anyone have any experience with Sump Pump battery backup solutions, for example the "Basement Watchdog Emergency" system? I've got a 1/2" HP Simer pump and I wanted to either get a second pump to put on a shelf in case the primary fails at 3 in the morning. But that has limitations - doesn't help if power goes out and would be hard to install at 3am when water is filling the pit. Wondering if the battery backup solutions that have a second pump you install in the pit are worthwile. I appear to have adequate room to put in the second pump and required hardware.
The most inexpensive solution they offer isn't really much more than a good quality 1/2" HP sump pump anyway, so I was thinking it might be worth it if they work well.
2. We're in the north and last winter we had a scenario where it warmed up enough where we had heavy rains that caused the drain tile to drain water into the pit for days. Shortly after the heavy rain, the temperature dropped again. I woke up one morning and heard the pump motor humming non-stop. I discovered the water in the discharge pipe outside had frozen. Thus, the sump pump was trying to run but the water had no where to go. Had to unplug flexible hose outside and pump finally was able to empty pit. I spent next several days watching the situation. When I discovered it, the water was getting almost to the top of the pit where it would have flooded the basement.
The obvious first step is to make sure the hose has a downward slope outside. Done, but the problem is the PVC for the discharge pipe comes out of the house about 1 foot above the ground line and my land is just barely sloped so its hard to keep the hose long outside to get water away from the house and still have adequate slope to flush the line out. My idea was this - just on the outside of the house where the rigid 1.5" PVC comes out, can't I put on some sort of adapter (a T or Y adapter for example) between the rigid PVC stub on the outside of the house where I connect the flexible tubing with the hose clamp so that if the primary path (the flexible hose) freezes on me, the water can shoot out the alternate path? I've seen brand names for devices like I'm thinking, but from what I can find they are sold with total solutions, brands are things like the "Ice Guard" or "Freeze Stop". I'd think one could devise something pretty cheap. My problem is I could just install a T easy enough, but how or what could one use to make the water flow through the primary line (the flexible tubing into the grass) and ONLY use the backup path (going through the T) when the water has no other place to go. Is there a generic piece or valve I could buy to put on the portion of the T (or a Y fitting pointing away from the house would work to) so that it only opens when water is forced through it in sufficient pressure. I suppose if I used a T and the outlet pointed straight up (turn the "T" upside down so the vertical part of the T points to the sky), that even if there was nothing on the part pointing up that water would only come out of there if the normal path was completely clogged. However, in this case it might look funny and not accomplish much because you'd have a geyser shooting straight up which would probably come right back down and drain into the tile and cause a infinite loop. Any other suggestion would be helpful as well. I would think a cheap and easy solution exists to this problem, just for a fail safe peace of mind.
See attachment for a diagram of what I'm talking about to help visualize this.

Thanks!

Attachments

• SumpDiagram.JPG
    SumpDiagram.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 3,781

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The line may have been air locked, not letting it drain out or causing it to drain slowly.

If you install a T on its back, and install an AAV that may help some.

Increasing the size of the outside pipe may help some also but the problem is it is exposed to the outside temps.

Heat tape and insulation may help.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
two lines are better than one

if your line froze up it might be better to
just install a second pipe out the side of the
house and dedicate it to your back up system
just letting it pour down the side of the hill

it might be good to run another new line out
for your main pump too in 2 inch pvc

you are lucky you caught it when you did

this time.....

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/sumppumps/

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I had a freeze problem and fixed it by.... on the vertical out of the pit, put in a tee where you want to go through the wall. Above the tee 2-3" install a vacuum breaker. From the tee run all downhill a piece of flexible corrugated sump pump pipe and then I used 1" 160 psi rated PE pipe above ground and underground. That allows the line to fully drain and remain open. If the far end is in water, or the water you're pumping pools at the end it will freeze and plug up the line so you must prevent that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks