Icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to fix an icemaker in a Whirlpool Frig. that stopped working 2 weeks ago. Water and ice come out of the front. The water still comes out, but no ice is being made.

I checked it out yesterday briefly. I turned down the thermostat as low as it goes, pulled out the tray to check for obstructions, played with the timer a bit to see if it would turn, and put the tray back until it clicked in place.

It's still not working, however.

Do I need to remove the panel where the timer is connected to get to the solenoids? If so, how do I remove the timer? I have to remove it to remove the panel.

I haven't pulled out the frig yet. Are there separate water supplies to the water and ice functions?

She mentioned that the icemaker quit right after someone messed with her
swampcooler. I thought that was a red herring, but I'm not sure now. I just figured it quit because it got hot out.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, but the ice bin is not in the door. It is in the top left part of the freezer compartment.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't believe noone out there knows anything about icemakers.:confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of the icemakers have a wire that lifts up when the ice tray fills.
The tray won't fill if someone has removed the wire.

I would check for that, and also check to see if water is even getting to the icemaker at the back connection.
If someone worked on the swamp cooler, maybe they turned off the water supply.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry said:
Some of the icemakers have a wire that lifts up when the ice tray fills.
The tray won't fill if someone has removed the wire.

I would check for that, and also check to see if water is even getting to the icemaker at the back connection.
If someone worked on the swamp cooler, maybe they turned off the water supply.

Thanks Terry,

That's why I wanted to know if there were 2 separate water inlets. And, if there is only 1, where is the water teed to send separate water to the ice maker and the water dispenser? Because they still get water out of the dispenser in front. Just no ice.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no generic 'they all work like this' when it comes to applicances. See if you can find the parts breakdown or service instructions on the web. Even from one year to the next, on the same brand.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Thanks alot, man!!! Reading this caused my icemaker to quit........ :mad:
What was your outcome on this? It sounds alot like what mine is doing right now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The icemaker on my GE frig can slide out a little. For awhile, it wasn't working right, and all it took was to slide the whole thing back in. There is an arm on mine that tells the control that the ice bin is full. If you dont use the ice that often, the defrost cycle will cause the ice to stick together and not fall away from the arm, and you can end up with a shell of ice at the top, and nothing at the bottom. That's the extent of my experience with the things.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I know exactly what is gonna happen next.........
The wife's been aching for a new fridge. Our almond color fridge is sudddenly the wrong color and she needs a black fridge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The icemaker runs when the thermostat in the icemaker reaches a set point, I believe it is about 14 degrees F. If the freezer does not get down to that point, regardless of where the thermostat is set, it will NEVER make icecubes, even if the water freezes in the tray.

duct tape pro

Reaction score
Pewterpower said:
I know exactly what is gonna happen next.........
The wife's been aching for a new fridge. Our almond color fridge is sudddenly the wrong color and she needs a black fridge.

Hahahaha!!
:rolleyes:
The names often change but the story is always the same...

binder-dundat myself.

J

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I filled the mold/tray manually with some water. I wanted to isolate the t-stat and gears and all that good stuff. Much to my delight, it ejected the ice cubes and refilled with water. Although it doesn't seem as full as it should be. I think maybe the fill tube was blocked. We'll see tomorrow. (as Hillary's team spells it: tommorrow)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pewterpower said:
Thanks alot, man!!! Reading this caused my icemaker to quit........ :mad:
What was your outcome on this? It sounds alot like what mine is doing right now.
The outcome was that she determined the thing was still under warranty, and she scheduled Sears to come out and look at it. It would serve her right if someone did disconnect the water supply to it when they turned on the swamp cooler. Cuz that wouldn't be covered under the warranty, and she might have to pay for a service call.:p

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Nope..........not a solenoid. This fridge has a dual water valve. One soleniod activates the valve that goes to the door, and the other goes to the icemaker. So I switched the wires to see what happens.
Well, when I press the paddle on the door to get water, it now fills the icemaker. At least that tells me the dual valve is good. It wish it wasn't cuz that part was only $30.
So it's the electrical inside the icemaker itself that is shot. I can replace the module for $75, or just replace the entire unit for $110.
Or just replace the old fridge with a new black one for $$$....... :rolleyes:

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Sheesh, I just found several complete icemakers on e b a y for for anytwhere from $20-$30. So guess what I'm doing.......... ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks