new install...leaking valves ????

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm trying my best to get this job wrapped up. We installed a couple of rather simple Price Pfister shower/tub valves. Everything is by the book. I turned on the hot water side and both (2 tubs) valves in the house had water running out even tho' they were in the off position. I pulled the valve bonnet (the guts of the valve) to check for trash and it is still leaking when I turn on either the hot or the cold supply. Is this normal since these are balancing valves?

Even worse... when the water is on for the tub spout it comes out the shower head.... this is a nightmare! It is completely plumbed with 1/2" CPVC with 1/2" copper to the spouts and shower. I just added a pressure regulator at the water meter which should limit pressure to about 75 psi...but that is not the problem as the water still comes out the shower head even with the single handle control valve barely opened... any ideas? As for the tub spout, it appears to be working perfect.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually YEAH... we took over the job from a hack crew. They installed the other shower valve and it is in the opposite (180 degree) position and acts exactly the same way....but that doesn't explain the water leaking when water supply is turned on....hopefully I can clean out some trash to solve that problem but water coming out the shower when the diverter is not engaged is a bit of a problem I'm not sure how to fix. The shower head is plenty high enough.....?????

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What is the water pressure and try replacing the stems even though they are new.

You could also try replacing the riser to the shower arm with .75" CPVC pipe.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Only way to swap out the riser is to rip out the wall... if he wants to fork over the bucks to experiment I'm game for it. Actually, all of the plumbing was in when I got to the job site... funny how that happens. All were completely plumbed with 1/2" CPVC. On the one I did the tile work on I moved it up and installed a copper stub for the spout. The instructions say that if it is upside down to remove the valve bonnet & flip the valve over...if the hot & cold are reversed... if so then the shower/tub would be reversed too... I don't have a clue but am convinced that I did install with the arrow pointing UP as it is supposed to be installed.....I'm kinda weird like that...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If the valve is upside down, then rotating the bonnet will correct the hot/cold orientation, but the water will still come out of the shower head when the valve is turned on. Using a PEX or CPVC riser between the valve and the shower head will have absolutely no effect on the problem. If the drop from the valve to the tub spout had been PEX or CPVC that would have caused the problem, but not with copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks