Using PVC for Hot Water Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Chucknewell

Reaction score
What is the concensses for using PVC for the drain line of a dishwasher? I know it can't be used for hot water distribution but it is used for drain lines. I installed a Johnson Tee in the wall of my kitchen instead of a counter top air-gap and plumbed it with PVC, see photo. Afterward I found the photo attached that was done with copper. Does it matter?

Chuck

Attachments

• dscn9636.jpg
    dscn9636.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,504
  • Installation.jpg
    Installation.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,570
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC is OK for drains, hot or cold. You're set up looks OK to me, but I'm no pro. Likely one of them will respond.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The PVC may not give you any problems, although if a fitting should crack it will create a major repair problem for you. The bigger problem I see is that you have connected the dishwasher directly to the drain pipe. Unless that Johnson fitting has an air gap function that is not visible, that is not a good idea.

Chucknewell

Reaction score
Johnson Tee Photos

Here's some photos of the Johnson Tee. It is an air-gap that replaces the counter-top air gap. The horizontal pipe goes through an exterior wall with the trim piece installed outside.

Attachments

• Wht-Tee-w-Trim.jpg
    Wht-Tee-w-Trim.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 6,053
  • Air-Gap-Detail.jpg
    Air-Gap-Detail.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,410

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Johnson

In that case it would satisfy all but the most rigorous inspector. That inspector might insist on a physical air gap, citing the possibility for algae and other growths to use the interior of the Johnson fitting as a path to enter the dishwasher drain tube. While that is seldom a valid consideration, I have had it quoted to me in similar circumstances.

Chucknewell

Reaction score
Inspector

Yup, the inspector would not approve it! It's the old "letter of the law / spirit of the law" controversy. The Johnson Tee was tested, approved, and carries the UPC symbol. However, the code states that a "listed" air-gap must be installed. The Johnson Tee was the only thing the inventor sold and he couldn't justify spending the $3000+ dollars every year to keep the part "Listed". No listing, No inspector approval. Is it safe? Does it work? Is it UPC approved? . . . Doesn't matter, It's not LISTED! :mad:

Chuck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks