Lound Banging Noise with sngle handle shower valve!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

FLHomeOwener

Reaction score
We are having a new addition put on our house and everything should be wrapped up in the next two weeks.

When the single handle shower valve is in the six o-clock position (warm) the water pipes chatter loudly (loud banging sound), if the handle is moved slightly (hotter or colder) the noises stop.

The shower wall is tiled and it’s an American standard fixture set.

I called the plumber who installed everything last night, and they are sending someone out today. Does anyone have and idea what that might be? Loose pipe? Loose valve?

I’d like to have an idea in mind when I hear back from them later today…

Thanks!

dandandvikkik

Reaction score
Water Hammer

It sounds like "Water Hammer" where air gets trapped in the pipes. Try opening the valve all the way and run the water for a few minutes....see if that helps.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water hammer occurs when you have a fast acting valve and you shut it off. The intertia of the water column tries to keep moving, and anything that is loose moves (think hitting a brick wall in the car). This causes the pipe to bang into something. You could have a loose washer or something in the valve that is restricting the flow; maybe in a shutoff valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks