leaking backflow preventer

Users who are viewing this thread

edsdad

Reaction score
Have 4-zone h.w. baseboard system. Hydro-Therm furnace piped according instructions has worked fine for 15 years. Recently, the backflow prev. atmospheric vent began to discharge a small but significant amount of water. City w.p. is 60psi (regulated). Supply goes to backflow preventer > auto fill/regulator > furnace. There is also an exp. tank in the loop (new). All the parts listed are new, Watts brand. After new backflow prev. installed, water flow from vent has been reduced but not stopped; dripping steadily. Furnace pressure when firing is high, 16-18 lbs. Hydro-Therm support agrees operating pressure is high but had no real solution to offer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The expansion tanks usually come precharged reasonably close to where they should be, but you might want to check. To do that, you have to drain enough water out to relieve the pressure, then you can check the air pressure. It should be around 15 pounds. If it isn't, add some. Is the pressure-relief valve new, too? They can wear out or get sticky when they get old.

edsdad

Reaction score
leaking b.f. prev

Tank was installed new after the leak started but I had checked the pressure anyway just to be sure. It was at 24 lbs. Thanks - will change relief valve just in case.

CHH

Reaction score
AIUI, the expansion tank pressure should be approximately equal to the system operating pressure. Also, typically gauges might not be (probably aren't?) calibrated so some error (difference or variation) might be expected.

On the vent discharge: There is water coming out of the vent and you've changed everyting but the vent. Water continues to come out of the vent. When is the vent going to be tested/changed?

edsdad

Reaction score
Thanks, CHH. I should have been more clear. The leak is from the atmospheric vent on the b.f. preventer, not the pressure relief valve on the boiler. Today the leak seems to have stopped on its own, no thanks to me.

CHH

Reaction score
When I reread your initial post, its clearly stated that the vent was on the backflow preventer. I just read "vent" and assumed it was the system vent. My mistake.

Glad to hear the drip cleared up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks