Washing machine problem

Users who are viewing this thread

mpowell

Reaction score
I have a basic Hotpoint washing machine, about 3 years old.
It's been a bit clonky and prone to vibration for a while, but now it makes a collossal clonking sound when the drum turns.
Can anyone tell me whether it's worth repairing, or should I get a new one?
Many thanks

mpowell

Reaction score
£50 last autumn
No warranty or anything - private sale
I'm not too bothered if it's dead - just wondered if it was worth repairing

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
If it's a front loader it may just be one of the rubber / plastic wheels that supports the drum needs to be replaced. On a top loader there are usually a set of springs that hold the tub when it spins that can come loose or break. Either of these can be fixed by someone handy with tools. Here in the US they're a few dollars per spring or about 8 USD for the wheel. You might invest time and 3-5 GBP for parts.

Is it a front loader? Does it clunk on the spin cycle, agitation (Washing), or both?

mpowell

Reaction score
It clonks both when washing and spinning.
Many thanks for your advice.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You can't lose anything by tearing into it and trying to see if there's any obvious problem. If you post the model number, we can check their Web site and see if diagnostic and repair information is available. The hardest part of repairing any of these laundry appliances is usually getting to the problem, but if you can open panels, take off covers, etc., and get to the point where you can see what's going on (and clonking), odds are you can fix it yourself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks