Tile has Gap around Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

ecu pirate

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the process of tiling all 3 of my bathrooms, as there was carpet before (weird!). I started with my downstairs 1/2 bath since it is smallest. I got all the tiling done, and have begun to replace the pedestal sink (done) and the toilet. Upon installing the new toilet with a much thicker wax seal, there is about a 1/2" gap around the toilet base. I just placed in the tiles square around the flange. Here is a pic

250629821.jpg

What can I do short of putting in tiny pieces of tile around the flange?

george

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't want to add any more tile, you can either grout or caulk around the base of the toilet.

ecu pirate

Reaction score
Terry said:
Looks like you should pull the bowl and finish tiling.
A set of nippers or wet saw should help here.
i ended up putting down some more tile pieces and grouting, and it now looks good. however, the wax seal i bought didn't seem to provide a good seal the first time i tried to use it. i used a "fluidmaster" no-seep no. 3. what would be recommended to make up for the new slightly higher tile floor?

Pewterpower

Reaction score
A flange extender should suffice. It's like a giant washer that goes over the top of the flange to give it a little more height. If that still doesn't want to seat, try using two wax rings stacked together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks