PDA

View Full Version : Tile has Gap around Toilet

ecu pirate
05-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi,
I am in the process of tiling all 3 of my bathrooms, as there was carpet before (weird!). I started with my downstairs 1/2 bath since it is smallest. I got all the tiling done, and have begun to replace the pedestal sink (done) and the toilet. Upon installing the new toilet with a much thicker wax seal, there is about a 1/2" gap around the toilet base. I just placed in the tiles square around the flange. Here is a pic

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL612/2882062/13543971/250629821.jpg

What can I do short of putting in tiny pieces of tile around the flange?

george

Verdeboy
05-05-2007, 09:18 PM
If you don't want to add any more tile, you can either grout or caulk around the base of the toilet.

Terry
05-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Looks like you should pull the bowl and finish tiling.
A set of nippers or wet saw should help here.

ecu pirate
05-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Looks like you should pull the bowl and finish tiling.
A set of nippers or wet saw should help here.
i ended up putting down some more tile pieces and grouting, and it now looks good. however, the wax seal i bought didn't seem to provide a good seal the first time i tried to use it. i used a "fluidmaster" no-seep no. 3. what would be recommended to make up for the new slightly higher tile floor?

Pewterpower
05-12-2007, 04:54 PM
A flange extender should suffice. It's like a giant washer that goes over the top of the flange to give it a little more height. If that still doesn't want to seat, try using two wax rings stacked together.