Water supply line along outside wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Bronson

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice regarding a shower remodel. Planning to take out a bump out, pulling out the 48" shower pan and laying mosaic tile for a 60" shower. No venting or piping found in bump out, just a void, so I didn't think it would be a problem to lengthen the shower. One contractor claims I must relocate plumbing to the inside wall since I will no long have the void providing some protection from the outside wall. Another contractor claims its not a problem, that they will add another inch of insulation to protect the water supply line, but the shower head can remain on the same wall as it is currently. I'm in the mid-atlantic, where cold weather is not much of a problem, but is it typically advisable not to place shower plumbing lines against an outside wall? Or can additional insulation provide a solid fix?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I would think it best to not have plumbing in an outside wall. Even if it did not freeze, it would still be subject to greater temperature changes than found in an inside wall, and that might lead to condensation running down the pipe and/or to hot water taking longer to arrive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks