Toilet has me stumped

Users who are viewing this thread

skeeter50

Reaction score
I'll try and make this short. American Standard - 4.5 years old.
Problem seemed to get gradually worse over time.

MBR (first floor) toilet will not flush. Water rises in bowl, some swirling, but will not "swallow" anything.
- I've snaked the bowl. I've removed the bowl and flushed with water outside. Nothing found.
- I've replace everthing in the tank. Tank drains in 3 to 4 seconds into the bowl. That's about what my others do in the house. (3 other toilets in home are normal, two upstairs, one on first floor).
- I've snaked the exhaust vent on the roof 25' (two story home on crawlspace). That's as long as my snake is. Nothing found.
- I've cleaned out all the small holes under the rim of the bowl with a paper-clip. Didn't find anything there either.
- The 4" pipe under the bowl looked like it was installed yesterday, clean and no standing water as far as I could see (about 3 feet straight down). Did not snake this pipe as I think if there was a blockage here the water would back up.

I'm at a total loss on why this toilet will not flush. Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and pour it in the bowl as fast as you can. If it goes down like normal then you know it is not the drain.

KD

Reaction score
You could try switching it with a toilet in a different bathroom...this takes work, but it will tell you pipes or toilet unit. You could have a bad casting which means you need to replace the toilet.

skeeter50

Reaction score
I did that yesterday. I placed the unworking toilet into another bathroom it worked normally. It's not the toilet. I placed a working toilet into the MBR bath, and it's doing the same thing; water rising but not flushing. Has to be the pipes I guess. I snaked the 4" pipe 25' and found nothing. I went into the crawlspace and found no leaks or anything out of the ordinary. I give up. Time to call in a Plumber I guess.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What size cutter head did you use on the snake?

Did 25' get it outside the foundation of the house?

KD

Reaction score
Does it have a vent going up thru the roof?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks