PDA

View Full Version : Cannot unsweat brass/copper fitting

DIYMike
02-16-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm trying to seperate the 1/2"copper tubing from my moen tub filler valve assembly. I was able to remove the copper from the brass "filler" tube, but cannot remove it from the brass "valve" tube. It looks like a sweat connection, it seems hot enough and touching solder to it melts instantly, but it is not loosening up. Are there "factory" welds, or do I need a different torch or something?

Help, thanks!
- Michael

Clayton
02-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Are you talking about a Moen roman tub faucet?
If so, I believe they come from the factory with the short pieces of copper already installed in the sides and bottom of the valves. So the installer is to assemble them with a tee and short copper tube for the tub spout. Since this requires the installer to make sweat connections within 3"-5" of the factory connections I would imagine these factory connections are brazed or at least use a joining material that has a higher melting point than that of your standard solder. If you haven't ruined the joint, then I would just use sweat fittings to extend the nipples as you want them.

Some of these faucets come completely assembled on 10" centers.

DIYMike
02-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Darn, I was fooled by the easy to remove filler connection. I not only cut them too short, but I'm sure I overheated them as well. So - are replacements going to cost as much as a whole new setup?

DIYMike
02-17-2005, 04:50 AM
Thanks for your help Clayton. You clued me in to the problem, and solution. The roughin for this unit is 4999... ~$70.

Found them online, but hope to find one locally (North County San Diego).