Still struggling with XH cast iron banded coupler-help?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimmee66

Reaction score
Hi all

I posted last week about replacing a 2 inch cast iron riser section with PVC. Good advice was given about cutting etc, thanks! I've ruled-out taking it down into the floor for several reasons (though I know its the best answer).

Anyhow--The pipe cut quite cleanly (with a grinder) but now I'm stuck.

The devils in the details, and the issue is that I cant for the life of me find a banded coupler that fits 2-inch *XH* cast iron. I can find them for service weight everywhere--but not xtra heavy.

Somebody MUST make one of these...

The XH has a 2 and 7/16" outside diameter(used a calipers). Standard couplings (like the mission CP200 or equiv) don't really fit right.

My questions:
1) Anybody know who makes a 2 inch XH cast iron to PVC banded coupling? Fernco seems to make a 3 inch for XH to plastic, but not 2 inch.

2) If I cant find such an animal--Is it realistic to expect enough stretch in a regular service weight coupling to fit XH? . I tried one and it didnt look trustworthy--too deformed, and the band kind of went askew when trying to tighten to the plastic and CI (I am using a torque wrench, although I dont know if thats necessary).

3) The only plumber I've found who was willing to do the work said he would just use a flex coupling. Illegal I know--but unsafe too? He said it doesnt matter...maybe I should just give up and do that. But it doesn't look too reliable in my test fitting.

thanks for any ideas.

jay

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may want to try a no hub coupling designed for copper to cast iron.

The copper side for the small diameter cast, and the "cast iron" side for the PVC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks